K & N Filter increases mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a K and N panel filter for about 20,000 miles now. It's great no problems at all. When I first installed it I got about a .6 mpg gallon bump combined. All NYC driving. After I did a open breather mod, I got another .5 mpg more (plus a slight feelable bump in power!!!) The last thing that gave me .2 mpg more combines is synthetic motor oil. Since I ran out of all my free oil changes. So currently combine is 15 mpg NYC traffic.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quit worrying about the number of pleats and any possible mileage gain you might get. First, they are a filthy filter allowing way to much dust and dirt thru and into your engine, Second, they must be oiled and the oil residue that slowly gets into the MAF will **** your MAF, so no you have a really dirty t/body and intake system and a failed MAF which can cost nearly $300 to replace.
It isn't worth it .

jsamul

Reaction score
I have to agree with Disco Mike. In May of this year, after a long and very dusty day in Death Valley over Goler Wash, the dash on my 05 LR3 lit up like a Christmas tree and the truck stalled. After restarting, the check engine light remained on and the message "reduced engine perfomance" appeared. This stayed on for the next couple of days and then disappeared.

Taking in the truck for service recently, I informed them of the problem and they came back and indicated that the MAS was throwing faults, and that there was dust on the other side of the air filter. That would be the K&N filter that I installed in February of this year. The tech who worked on my truck said they had another truck in with damage to the engine which they blamed on the K&N filter allowing too much dust through.

Did the K&N filter cause my problems with an early Christmas light show and the MAS? Well I can't say for sure, but now with a new MAS and $400 poorer, I'm back to the paper filter.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 30 years in the business, I find it takes some people a little longer to realize what is good and what isn't, hell I went thru 2 MAF's before I figured it out and most of you will also. In my case though, I got Rover to warranty my 2 replacement MAFs, the beauty of being a service manager.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge