Kayaks limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:hello:Guys...I am trying to pull a trigger on two or even three kayaks in the very near future(2-3 months) and don't really know , how long they can be to be able to sit on roof rack,preferably Yakima set from AB,but i am open for suggestions,without securing them in front and back with ropes to both bumpers.I need something recreational to touring , so sizes vary from 10 to 14 feet.Obviously the longer the better,but , if it will be unsafe to carry them on top,because they just too long or to heavy, i will adjust to fit .Has any of you have an experience in this field?Roof span in LR3 is kind of on the short side,so I don't wont to sacrifice a safety of my family on the long haul. Thanks

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they sit on top or sit down inside kayaks? White water or sea and flat water?

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread

Edit: The attached images i posted over there seem to have disappeared... Here's a couple of my truck with two ocean kayaks bungeed to the roof...

_DWA3810.jpg

_DWA3808.jpg

Primitive? Yes, but it works

You may want to try the other routes listed in the above thread, if the primary purpose is to haul Kayaks

F.Y.I. That's a Rover Racks Full length rack, for those that are curious :cool:

Last edited:

Bily Lovec

Reaction score
this is a 17'6" single.
I actually should have this slid back about another Ft.
the yak riacks I use have built in tie-downs, but state law requires the front to also be tied down, I do the back also ;)
I also have a 21' tandem, both of these are sea class touring kayaks.
HPIM1040.jpg

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 17-18 foot Old Town Discovery canoe that easily fits on my factory rack. I don't even bother with front or back tie downs and I've never had a problem (travelled 60-70 mph). Those 14 foot Kayaks should be a breeze.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where having a standard 2" receiver hitch on the back would be helpful. I'd like to take a look at someone's ball mount someday and see how easy that would be to replicate into a universal mount for the likes of kayaks, bikes, etc.

J.D.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldnt you just use the recovery points for lines? You could use carabiners if you want something quick.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankz for the link and responses.I don,t have a roof rack,but my plans are to get yakima towers with 54 " long cross bars.On second though,now that I see full length tracks on LR4 i wonder .if they will fit a LR3.That would give us an extra two feet of span.Where do you guys attach a front tie rope,under the bonnet somehow or just to recovery point with something that prevents a bonnet to be scratched by the rope.I will buy a two 12-14 footers with some storage area.We like to camp out in different places every night,so need a places for small tent and necessities.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Rover Racks

They have full length racks for the LR3 like mine

There is plenty of other alternatives out there as well, like urban off road for one.

I personally love mine, that thing is bulletproof, and they custom make it for each customer so that you get everything you want on it, i.e. high lift/shovel mounts etc.

Last edited:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread

Edit: The attached images i posted over there seem to have disappeared... Here's a couple of my truck with two ocean kayaks bungeed to the roof...

_DWA3810.jpg

_DWA3808.jpg

Primitive? Yes, but it works

You may want to try the other routes listed in the above thread, if the primary purpose is to haul Kayaks

F.Y.I. That's a Rover Racks Full length rack, for those that are curious :cool:

Looks great I have the same rack did you attach with only the cross straps only and what are they?

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM