Key Fobs not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Japper Rover

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

Just wondering if anybody has run into there key fobs not working? I have a 2005 LR3. I have two fobs one is original and one is two months old. We parked at the airport last week locked the car no problem. Came back 5 days later and the new fob won't work. Thought it might be the battery in the fob but when it is in the ignition the charge required light does not come on. The old fob does not work either. Thought maybe a fuse but the ones I checked were fine. Could it be a fuse but I am not looking at the right one? If anyone has any ideas before I go to the stealership that would be great?

Thanks,

JP

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...there is a "charge required" light? I've never seen that.

Japper Rover

Reaction score
Its actually a message not a light bad choice of words on my part. If you look in the manual on page 30 it says

"Remote handset battery
The battery is rechargeable. The fact that the
battery needs recharging will be apparent from
the following:
• ’KEY BATTERY LOW’ will be displayed in
the main message center.
• A gradual deterioration in range and
performance will be noticed.
Insert the key into the starter switch and start
the engine. This will start to recharge the
handset battery."

I guess if you are driving on regular basis you would also be charging the fob. I've never seen the message myself.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me as you describe, but with both FOBs being original. One died, then the other...in circumstances in which either the LR3 sat for a week OR the FOB hadn't been used for a while (like it sat in a drawer while the other one was primary).

I never saw a stinkin' message in the Info Center! I wound up buying a new FOB from British Parts Utah, swapping the blades from one of my 2 original FOBs and then having the dealer reprogram it.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happened at the airport it's possible that there was/is radio frequency interference causing it to not operate. Does it work once you are away from there?

trouguex

Reaction score
You might have a problem in the wiring harness in the right front floor. If you remove the tread strip on the right hand side at the front door. Under it you will find a bundle of wires there is a splice connection that corrodes and become and open short to ground and your remotes will not work. I'm not sure of the color code of the wire you are looking for. I wish I could be of more assistance.

Japper Rover

Reaction score
You might have a problem in the wiring harness in the right front floor. If you remove the tread strip on the right hand side at the front door. Under it you will find a bundle of wires there is a splice connection that corrodes and become and open short to ground and your remotes will not work. I'm not sure of the color code of the wire you are looking for. I wish I could be of more assistance.

I will check that out thanks. On a side note my wife just called me to say the radio isn't working now. No sound. radio is on, volume turns up and down but no sound. Not sure if these things are related or not. I am going to check the wire connection as soon as she gets back.

trouguex

Reaction score
I checked and I believe the wire color is green with a black stripe or vise versa. As far as the radio goes have her turn the truck off lock the doors for about a minute and unlock and restart the truck. The audio system should come back on-line if it doesn't the audio amplifier may be going bad.

Japper Rover

Reaction score
Radio is working again, thanks. Pulled up the trim over the wire harness and everything looked ok but its hard to say as I could not find a splice with that wire colour.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635