key stuck in ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat common problem I think.

My son now drives my 97 Disco. Today he could not get the key out of the ignition. You can start and shut off the engine and the key goes past accessory almost to the lock point.

Tried jiggling, disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery, turning on and off the alarm repeatedly but no luck.

I m thinking the key or lock tumblers are worn and its not alarm-related.

He can drive the truck and shut it off and lock it up with the remote but I would like to get the key out.

Any ideas??

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the key out. It was the solenoid that prevents you from taking the key out unless it is park. I unplugged the connection that is located under the plastic cowling over the ignition. Will my battery drain if I leave this unplugged?

AND, how do you repair this solenoid or replace it?

Thanks for youe advice.

mln01

Reaction score
There is a good chance that the solenoid is a symptom of the problem and is not the root cause. I had a similar problem a few years ago with my '99 DII. I eventually diagnosed it as the transmission gear position switch (also known as a starter inhibitor switch or XYZ switch). I don't know if DIs use the same setup, but it is a switch mounted to the side of the transmission with contacts that signal the computer what gear range has been selected. On the D2 one indicator that it is the problem is whether or not the gear indicator lights on the shifter light up as they should. Same for the gear indicator on the instrument panel. I recall the part costing a little over $200 and I installed it myself. Good luck.

hopalongh

Reaction score
I too have this problem, was told by Rover Parts of Tampa that the switch to the solenoid is part of the shifter and the whole unit must be replaced, here's their thread to the part:http://www.roverlandparts.com/1994-1999discoveryitransmissionshifter.aspx .So far I haven't repaired it, am disconnecting/reconnecting battery after every use (yes a REAL pain in the ****), and driving my Miata in this horrible northeast snowmuck.My local mechy said a"complete ignition replacement" was needed!I I queried my local LR dealer parts dept. who were no help at all, and just wanted me to bring the car in <shudder>.Well, I'll keep you posted when/if I timidly do this replacement.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I unplugger the connector under the steering cowl have had no problems and the battery is not draining. Maybe try this and you wont have to disconnect the battery every night.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99