Key Will Not Turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Now, in addition to the screaming noise under the hood, my ignition key will not turn.

I have the original key and 3 copies and none will turn the ignition. I've had this problem from time to time but usually just a quick wiggle will allow it to work. It does look like the previous owner might have had some issue with the ignition due to some work that was done around there.. screw marks scratched and the little tab ears that the key slides in between are missing.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do I need a locksmith or is there something else that's causing this? I was hoping there was something like a switch from the shifter that was preventing this, or some other type of safety feature.

Any help is appreciated..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the ignition switch may be worn out... you can also try to make sure you are all the way in Park, and wiggle the steering wheel while attempting to start, you can also try to turn the key over with the above options as well.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Yeah been down those roads... that's what I was hoping for but the wheel and shifter thing doesn't do it either. I even made sure the battery was fully charged.

Do I have a locksmith change out the lock or does a dealer need to do that?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can change it if you feel up to it... otherwise any mechanic can do the work, don't take it to the dealer unless you like spending a lot of money.... just remember the key will not match the door locks anymore...

Lemontin

Reaction score
My door locks are possessed anyway ( I read someone else had that issue here) I push them down and they pop right back up. Plus, the tail gate lock does not work and I was going to replace that,, so I'd have three keys then..Yay.. I don't have a remote for th elock either.

I'll talk to my mechanic, I was bringing it in anyway next week, guess I'll have to have it towed now.

Thanks for your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you locks keep popping back up it is the actuator, not the key portion that is the issue, the actuators tend to go bad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM