Land Rover Rockville anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any old LR Rockville, MD owners on here? Sadly that dealership was sold to Manhattan Jaquar and I got to see the new dealership for the first time this week when I dropped my truck off for service.

Man I miss the old dealership, which was probably like a lot of your dealers. It was all Land Rover...sales, service, showroom...everybody was right there, always a couple old school rovers parked out front, and you could rap with anyone in the place about new trucks, old trucks, recalls, whatever. Friendly place, casual style.

The new place, ugh. In addition to their being nobody knowing about the vehicles (except for the handful of people brought over who are pigeonholed behind walls and tough to find), it just doesn't even come close to having a Land Rover feel. Also, when I bought the vehicle, the policy was that whenever you brought your rover in for service they'd put you in another LR product if at all possible, and it usually was. The new place is all Enterprise and I'm in a P.O.S. Mazda this week while my truck gets looked at. AND instead of the old 10 minute service visit (talk to you service guy, get handed keys, you're outta there) it took me a solid HOUR just to drop my car off and pick up a loaner. A F*@#$ING HOUR for a drop off!!! :mad:

So, if you don't like your LR dealer...at least be happy if its only a Land Rover shop. Don't think I would have bought from the dealership I now have to use. We'll see, hopefully over time they'll get it in check, but I'm guessing they bought the dealership more for the Range Rover badge than the other vehicles. Its that kind of place.

Thanks for letting me gripe! :argh:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Todd,
Here in Detroit the dealership got bought out by the local BMW dealer. A few years ago, everyone knew my name. The service guys would cut you a break and/or tell you how to fix something cheaper. It felt like a sort of club where you could stop by on a saturday and shoot the breeze with the folks there. I knew at a minimum 6-8 people on a first name basis. Recently I stopped in for something and gave a friendly hello to my salesman. And while he was cordial enough, I absolutely knew he had no clue who I was or that I even bought the damn car from him. It's a real shame as that was one of the things I really liked about landrover ownership. At least I still get a LR loaner though...

D

DJJeffT

I hear ya Todd.

I bought my LR3 at Landrover Tampa and it's the greatest dealership around. Owner by the Reeves family in Tampa, who also have BMW and Jag and a bunch of other high end imports.

I got transferred to DC in February and had my 7500 maintenance check coming, so I stopped by to meet the dealership. I felt VERY cold compared to the group in Tampa. I was all very robotic and sterile, and to boot, they wouldnt give me a loaner (that was for people who purchased there only I was told) I had to rent something from enterprize...welcome to Maryland!!!

I had the 7500 check done and it was a good experience. They even washed the car. I still had the speaker rumble on the passeneger side, so they had to order the speaker and I was to bring it back in when it arrived.

I had to hound them to get info and when I finally did I was not available to get it done (traveling back and fourth to Tampa to see the fam). When I was finally ready, I thought I would stop by the dealership and make the appointment. WHen I walked in the side door I was amazed to see no vehicles in the showroom and was greeted by a man I had seen before. I asked for service and he sarcastically said..."can't you see the dealership is closed? Didnt you see the sign?". I said...OBVIOULSY NOT or I would not be in here asking for service. He told me the dealship had been 'taken over' by Manhattan and directed me there.

I called, got my appointment, and drove up that am. I pulled in the left lane and parked. I was quickly reprimanded that i parked in the wrong lane. I poked back and said is the left lane wrong? The man informed me that I needed to say 'in line'. I told him I was a newbie and to give me a break. He shrugged it off and walked away. 5 minutes later he came back and told me to go in the waiting room. I said...waiting room...to wait for what? He said they will write up the car, then the advisor will see you...yup...45 minute experience with 3 people in the waiting room with me. UGH.

Hopefully I wont have to take it in all that often, cause neither experience was like Tampa...but like they say...I aint in Tampa anymore. Such is life...

Jeff

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, Jeff, that's my new dealership!!! :)

Since you don't have to be tied to anybody for service, consider the new LR dealer on route 50. I'm not sure if this is "LR Annapolis" or not, but I pass it when I'm headed to the beach, it looks like a nice dealership (lots of LR's!!!) and many of the people I liked at Rockville went to work there instead of going to Manhattan. I trust you'll find more LR knowledge and pride if you step in there.

If you get on route 50 headed towards the bay bridge, you can't miss it. Big LR dealer on the right (south) side of 50.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my truck from "the new place" today. Other than having to ask them to wash the car (grease inside, dirt outside) everything seemed to go okay. I did get an update from some of the LR folks on what's going on. Basically, they feel the pains as well and have heard so from other customers. They're working to add staff and get acclimated to the new place as well.

Regarding the overall feel of the dealership, I was told that when an LR dealership is purchased they have certain specs they have to meet within 90 days (tools, service lifts, etc.) and a pile of stuff they have to meet within 2 YEARS. Included in that list are a lot of infrastructure improvements that seem to largely alter the interior and exterior appearance to be more in line with the LR feel (warmer, I suppose).

So...I'm hoping that over time they grow into the new place and possibly even sell off the Lincoln/Mercury piece and just be a LR/Jaquar dealer, which could work fine.

We'll see. I'll give them a chance....but only because its my only option! :smile:

D

DJJeffT

Todd

I actually work 6 blocks north of the dealership, so it's really my only option too.

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635