Land Rover Service is outrageous.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally, as a consumer, I am hardly the "complaining" type. However, this is getting really bad. I really feel sorry for the average consumer that isn't ready to do battle every time they take their LR3 in for service. I have written about these problems before, but they just keep getting worse.

This morning, I pulled into the service area, and while the rep got my vehicle info, I waited by the service office.

I could hear the manager reprimanding another service rep. They were talking about customers and saying things like "This F&$^%ing guy...." for me to hear. And "that guy is a wack job." The manager told the guy that he should not even be dealing with this customer, that this other service rep should be. The manager said "tell the guy that the warranty doesn't cover it..." etc. and all sorts of things like that. The rep defended himself by explaining all the nice service items that he "sold" the customer.

Then, of course when I went through the list of things that I need fixed under my extended warranty with the "other rep," (the one that is trained to handle guys like me) one thing after another was "that is how it is supposed to be" and it is probably such and such (That is not covered by the warranty).

I told them about a very common LR3 problem, and the rep acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. It is a problem every LR3 has before 80k miles or so. I told them that it is a common problem, and they must know about it. They said "just because you read about it doesn't mean its true," as if I don't have a clue. I know they have seen these problems, because they are very common on this list.

Of course they can't tell me if anything is covered under the warranty, and that it is going to cost me such and such just to look at it if the warranty doesn't cover it.

To be honest, I feel stupid for even leaving my truck with them. I know that all of this is going to be a big fight. It is clear their policy is to weasel out of any responsibility for anything at all cost, They must come up with a charge of like $1700 for each service, and then find ways to justify it. I bet anything that they are going to tell me that the cost of repair is at least $1700. And, now having been warmed up to 1700 as a routine charge, I bet they try 2300.

Of course, I am being vague here because they have my truck. I just can't believe the lack of service, the manipulation, and even the downright unethical tactics that are being used in my opinion. They must train these people to look you in the eye and say "that is normal" to whatever problem is being described.

I bought the $3500 Land Rover warranty. What a joke it is. What a joke they are. This is really a crappy position to be in. Owning an LR3 out of factory warranty is like gambling in vegas. With luck you might not have that $7500 repair, but chances are the house will win every time.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate that they just don't seem to grasp the idea of customer service.

I'm lucky to have multiple dealerships in the area. I changed dealerships after the first few months of ownership due to a very similar situation, and have been treated very well ever since.

Please keep us posted with the outcome.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any indy shops near you JZK? If so, they can bill to your extended warranty. It does not need to be done by a Land Rover dealer.

I've come across this same treatment many times. I really have a hard time understanding it. It is my understanding that the dealer gets paid by the warranty company for the work performed. It is also my understanding that most dealers are really hurting right now, and the service dept is the only thing making money. So why they don't bend over backwards to work hard to keep us coming to them is a mystery to me.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If in doubt, vote with your wallet. There's no excuse for service like that.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Man there seems to be quite a few craptastic dealers running around eh? Guess they aren't worried about repeat customers or something...

Trynian

Reaction score
I had a little push back on my first warranty repair.

I basically told them that it did not make sense and asked if I needed to talk to LRNA. I also did not want them to do the repair and would go to another dealer if needed which would also end up being where I purchase future vehicles.

The service manger seemed to back off a bit and called back later and took care of the problem.

I have not had any push back since.

Don't feel bad for leaving it there but don't be afraid to say no and take it elsewhere if they are not going to cover it.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had similar problems myself, voted with my feet and now couldn't be happier with my service.

Bummer you have to deal with it in the first place.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a new LR owner and I am getting a little concerned reading some of these comments.
I have owned many luxury cars and accustomed to paying a little higher price for service due to the name.

It seems to me the LR’s are just not built very well, and extremely expensive to maintain. AM I WRONG? I seems the brakes and rotors do not last very long, one post said they had to spend $7500.00 on a repair, it seems to me if this vehicle is able to cross mountains it certainly would be built better than this.

Is situation with the comments on the site more the norm or the exception?

PS I use mine for city driving only, no over the mountain trips for me.

2005 LR3

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gmoney (really?) Well, no, these are not poorly built. However, they are heavy, and brakes and tires are wearable items most effected by weight. The stock tires are very bad, that is true. But once you replace them (in your case, perhaps with Michelin Synchrones), life is much better. You will go through brakes fairly quickly, but an average pad replacement is about $400, more if you have to do rotors also (figure every other brake service, or approximently 30,000-40,000 miles).

Don't go to a dealer for basic service items like this, go anywhere else, but preferably an independant Land Rover repair shop. With a name like gmoney, one assumes you are in an urban area. If in LA, there are lots of repair shops to choose from.

As for comments being typical. NO. Any forum is only a tiny fraction of overall ownership, and by nature, the most vocal minority of ownership. There are probably nearly 150,000 LR3's on the streets, and only 200 or so members here.

As for driving in the city only, you are only getting half your money's worth. Perhaps we should called you 50cent instead of gmoney :)

I am a new LR owner and I am getting a little concerned reading some of these comments.
I have owned many luxury cars and accustomed to paying a little higher price for service due to the name.

It seems to me the LR’s are just not built very well, and extremely expensive to maintain. AM I WRONG? I seems the brakes and rotors do not last very long, one post said they had to spend $7500.00 on a repair, it seems to me if this vehicle is able to cross mountains it certainly would be built better than this.

Is situation with the comments on the site more the norm or the exception?

PS I use mine for city driving only, no over the mountain trips for me.

2005 LR3

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply…

The gmoney name is what my grand kids call me…
Has nothing to do with where I live or how much money I make….

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635