Link to How to Change an LR3's oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chesapeake! Sure is a lot of talk about NO drain plugs for the D3 and Dealer only extraction systems. I think I'll have a crawl under the Rovah.

LRTECH

Reaction score
Thanks Chesapeake! Sure is a lot of talk about NO drain plugs for the D3 and Dealer only extraction systems. I think I'll have a crawl under the Rovah.

nope. there is definately a drain plug under there. and a filter. you have to take off the metal scrape plate to see either one though.

LRTECH

Reaction score
They have a drain plug and a standard oil filter. you just have to take the metal plate off from the bottom of the front of vehicle to see them. after the plate is off, it's a standard oil change.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4's have no drain plug or dip stick. Lr3's are simple oil change procedure once you get the skid plates off. I do it in off-road mode (no ramps needed) and use the floor jack to hold the skids in place.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the old stuff comes out the bottom and the new stuff goes in the top?

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually planning on doing this for the first time tonight. I had the instructions bookmarked, but I was just reading through them again and I noticed that the step to remove the oil filter comes before removing the drain plug. I've always done it in the opposite order--drain plug first, filter last. Is there some reason why the instructions say to remove the oil filter first? Seems like it would be messy, but I've never tried it to see what would happen on another vehicle.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, Land Rover's own shop manual for the 4.4 liter engine instructs you to (in step-by-step order):

1 - Remove undershield (10 bolts)
2 - Remove oil pan drain plug and drain oil
3 - Remove radiator access panel (4 bolts)
4 - Remove oil filter and drain leftover oil
5 - Lube seal and tighten new oil filter to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft)
6 - Tighten drain plug to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft)
7 - Fill, check, top off, reinstall undershields, etc.

So, you can safely do it the old fashioned way (plug first, then filter), I'd do it that way as well. :biggrin: I imagine that removing the oil filter before the plug may cause the oil to drain faster from the pan, although it could get messier in the beginning?

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to put it in off-road access as well and still had room underneath. Just be careful when you pull that plug that the oil bucket/drain pan is positioned right because that oil comes shooting out. First time I did it, it over shot my drain pan!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pretty much never squeeze under my truck without some sort of jack or blocks in place. Maybe that air suspension won't settle...maybe...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo