Long term effects of bad rear diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seilars

Reaction score
Hi forum,

The rear diff on my 08 LR3 is fading, which is now confirmed by two different indie shops. :argh:

Actually called LR North America to hear if they wanted to help me out with a repair, but they said the failing diff had to be confirmed also by a certified LR dealer. Which I guess makes sense, if they are actually considering covering some of the repair costs. (By the way, have anyone gotten such repairs covered by LR NA? Have read about vehicles just out of warranty getting the parts covered, just not sure about vehicles significantly out of warranty - mine's now at 90k miles)

Anyway, the question is:
Are there any long term effects on driving around with a fading rear differential? The diff has been making the scratching/whining noise for about 12k miles. According to the indie mechanic, it's probably not the gears that are bad, but the bearings around the axle leaving the differential body. I'm just worried if it creates higher friction which might create issues with the transfer case or drive train or whatnot... It's not like the rear wheels have ever seized up or are showing more threadwear - I'm basically not experiencing any issues except for the high pitched whining/grown/scratching noise from the rear. For now...:creep:

Thanks!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should get it repaired, but at this stage driving a little more probably is not going to make much difference. If they can't help you out, let me know, you will be pleasantly surprised. If you let it go too long, the core won't be salvagable +300 to me or +400 to +700 from LR LR retail price 2300+ non locker 4500 Locker..

IF LRNA did anything for you, it will be to get an estimate from the LR dealer, and compensate for the part, the labor will cost as much as being pleasantly surprised..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4