Looking at buying a mid-90s Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W

wan

My parents are interested in buying a mid 90s Discovery. Im trying to figure out if were going to love it or hate it before making this purchase. My parents go camping a few times a year and would benefit from the off road capabilities but like most utility vehicles on the road today, it would be used in the city for the most part. Please be honest when answering these few questions:

- What should we look for when buying one of these vehicles?
- How reliable are they? How expensive/cheap is maintenance?
- How's the gas mileage?
- Can these handle towing an open car trailer loaded with a ~3,000 lb. car?
- Hows the ride quality when driven around the city?
- Are there other websites I can look at for answers to newbie questions like mine?

Thanks in advance.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. A green 1997. 2. As reliable as you maintain them/not as expensive as you think. 3. Great, as long as you like 13 to 17 mpg average. 4. Yes, downhill. 5. The best. 6. Yes, just search. True satisfaction from my Discovery didn't arrive until 18 months after I bought the vehicle. It took me that long to become "intimate" with it, to really "know" it, to get it to "open up" to me. Now we go EVERYWHERE together. It has never left me stranded, always got me home, sometimes late, but home. It is a investment in time, and love for a machine. There is NO comparsion. *Don't try this @ home, kids. Results may vary. These are self trained "professionals". Image on box may be larger than actual toy. Some vehicles not for use w/ some kit. Don't confuse these vehicles with american-built SUV's. Again, there is NO comparsion. Enjoy. LRW

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A marriage in which every penny you earn goes to you wife

98 Discovery 99k miles love it dearly but like a wife it will drive you crazy every once in a while

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM