Looking for 75k service advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Approaching 75k miles and still running strong...

In addition to checking/replacing all items listed under "A" service including oil, filter, pollen filter, replacing brake fluid, and flexible brake hoses- what else should I have checked out or replaced too?

The bushings were done just under 50k and the air compressor and front rear differentials were replaced under ESP back in the fall.

Also, I want to have the work done at an indy shop- what price range should I expect to pay vs. what the dealer would charge for this service?

Thanks.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering switching over to all royal purple on the lubricants. They also offer their own version of the LR3 oil filter. Probably worth buying your own parts, supplies whatever you choose, and go customer supplied.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace transfer gearbox oil, if you haven't already done this

Check torque on rear tailgate struts (you can DIY this)

Looks like you've got the rest covered, plus the usual checks (serpentine belt, brake pads/rotors, etc)

racehorse

Reaction score
I'm also getting ready for the 75k. You might have your EPB inspected, too - I think my indy guy was saying they usually like to replace the entire module after 6k pulls or something along those lines.

Mine is beginning to scream/whine a little.

The Indy I spoke to in my area says for about $200 he can replace the f/r diff fluids and transfer case. LR dealer quoted about $126 for the transfer case. Not sure how much for the f/r diff fluids.

If you wheel your lr3 or pull stuff you might have your tranny oil replaced too. I don't pull but I do some wheeling and long desert driving so I'll do that as well at 75k.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might consider royal purple on the diffs, I am about to try it. Some people have reported that it quiets them down a bit. The whine is typically associated with the bearings going on it them. Some dealer shops I have talked to report they are "dropping like flies".

After a lot of research, I managed to find a full rebuild kit.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 with the Royal Purple 75W90. It'll put a smile on your face, when you don't have to turn up the radio to drown out the whine of your diffs going down the road.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
+1 with the Royal Purple 75W90. It'll put a smile on your face, when you don't have to turn up the radio to drown out the whine of your diffs going down the road.

I appreciate the direction here. Funny but I've never heard of Royal Purple synthetic oil until now. I watched a video on their site that demonstrated it will also add 10 hp too- that's all fine but doesn't matter to me. If its a quality synthetic oil- I'll consider it. However, you need to use it not only in the engine but transmission and differentials to get the extra results...

My driving is mostly road/hwy use across FL, no pulling but do wheel only a few times a year- including gravel roads too. OK, well, I'll shop around the pricing and see what happens. Thanks!

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much of this gear oil would be needed to do each diff? Could this really be all that is needed, better lube, to stop the whining and eventual failure of the diffs?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my research with is extensive, it will quiet them, and this lube should lower temperatures which will naturally reduce wear. It is not going to be a cure all. According to my sources the issue is design, for the whine issue. The kit I found includes completely re-engineered ring & pinion which among other things cures the typical whine people complain about.

I figured that it might be nice after the hassle to maximize the life of rebuilt unit. Front one is next after this.. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/images/smilies/alberteinstein.gif

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my research which feels quite extensive, it will quiet them, and this lube should lower temperatures which will naturally reduce wear. It is not going to be a cure all.

According to my sources the issue is design, for the whine issue. The kit I found includes completely re-engineered ring & pinion which among other things cures the typical whine people complain about.

I figured that it might be nice after the hassle to maximize the life of rebuilt unit. Front one is next after this..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635