lots of cranks to start up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has happened before, I actually think it just sort of went away - which has me thinking it has to do with the colder weather....
It can crank for one second, or 15 seconds before starting. It doesn't seem to make much difference whether the engine is warm or not - although I think it probably starts a little quicker when warm maybe? I wouldn't think it's fuel pump or check valve related because I started it and stopped it a half dozen times, and the last time it was the slowest to start - about 7 or 8 seconds. The plugs are relatively new (last 10k miles), I just put the LR4 battery in it yesterday, figuring it was newer and might provide a little extra oomph. It does, but it pretty much just cranks a little stronger for a while with no change in start time. And it runs perfectly once it starts.

Thoughts? If it was the colder (below 40f) temps, what would the cause be? Seems like if it was the MAF or thermostat that it wouldn't run perfectly when it did start, would it? Same thing with bad gas, I wouldn't think it would run as good as it does if that was the problem.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter? Ignition coils? Not sure but it's not normal. I've had mine in -17F (granted, with the block heater plugged in) and it has never taken more than about 1.5 seconds to crank....even in 19F sans block heater.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter engages fine, engine turns over fine. Bad coils would make it run bad when it was running. I tend to think it is some ******* module or electronic gizmo, but have no idea. It's not throwing any codes...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9