Loud clunk while turning steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markdrm1

Reaction score
Hey all,

My 99 disco is making a loud clunk when I turn the steering wheel. Sounds like its getting worse. Any Ideas?

Mark

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
is this clunk at slow speeds? if so, it may be CV joints. If a higher speeds and you feel it in the steering wheel it could be Panhard rod bushings.

markdrm1

Reaction score
Its happening at a slow speed, especialy when turning sharp.

Thanks,

Mark

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a CV joint starting to go. Should be to hard to fix... Mine has been making noise for about 10k miles... I figure before this year is out I need to change it. Or at least pull it apart and reverse the cage and get another 40k miles out of it.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Mine has been doing it at low speeds and today has just come apart! Luckily I was at a stop sign making a turn and it broke half way through, so I was pretty much stuck in the middle of the intersection. Now is this something that is hard to fix? The part that has separated controls the rod that moves the tires. It looks like the rubber ****** has broken off and there is no lube only dust in the joint. Is it just a case of replacing the rubber ****** or……….

Muddyone

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the broken ******...

Attachments

• P6301053.JPG
    P6301053.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 53

Muddyone

Reaction score
So do i just need a CV Boot Kit, are there any instructions on how to replace this?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What you have is a broken ball joint.... I would look at replacing them all while you are in there.

Muddyone

Reaction score
So should i replace the whole rod... any instructions? How do i get the broken bolt out?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
No need to replace the whole rod that I am aware of.... I will look for instructions, broken bolt... pain.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4