Lowering an LR4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lr4deluxe

Reaction score
Hi!

Searched a bit and didn't find anything.
When in access mode, is the suspension all aired out or does it stop on the bumps?

When i lower my 2015 LR4 to access mode i can feel a little bump when its settles, just wondering if its the bumps hitting or just the suspension..?

Im gonna lower the car, i want the access mode height for my normal driving setup, as im only driving on freeways and in town most of the time.

I know now in locked access mode its kinda stiff and bumpy, therefor i want to find a way to get it in acces mode height but still get the comfort from normal height.. Im thinking relocating the suspension mounts is one way to get around it, but if it still air left in access mode, there surely is a way to get it to sit lower and comfy..

Anyone ever done this?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the most atypical question for this forum. Everybody wants to lift theirs on here.
Easiest way to do it is to get yourself a Gap Diagnostic IIDTool and program the suspension as low as possible (or as low as desired).
You will lose all the benefits of the air suspension and drive on the bump stop or close to them. As long as you like driving a piece of wood you'll be fine.
I would definitely not recommend to do that. I can see a little drop for highway driving but otherwise... Anyway...
Good luck to you

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to read through the Llams controller thread if you have not done that yet. It will give you an idea of what can be done with it and how it rides at varying heights.

I do not know the technical answer to your questions (as far as the air left for cushioning at access height) but Umbertob of one of the many savvy tech guys here may be able to elaborate.

You could also get the compmotive wheels (18") and run 255/55/18 tires and it would look about the same in terms of visible tire sidewall but sit 1/2" lower.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23853&highlight=llams

lr4deluxe

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah i read it, and it seems i can get it to access height and run it there.
But then you got nothing left for comfort.

i really want the benefits from the air and still go low..

No problem to get it done with relocating etc, but just curios to see if anyone ever done it or looked into it and how they solved it :)

Btw, im running 22x10. 295/30-22

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think the benefits are of lowering it? Just curious...

lr4deluxe

Reaction score
all for the look.
Just like it better without the big fender gap

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh please, please reconsider. I actually sighed out loud when I read the thread title. never should have opened it. That one's on me.
Aside from looking ridiculous, and being insanely uncomfortable I can't imagine it would be particularly safe with virtually no suspension.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Access height is too low and offers very little comfort, as you've already figured out by locking access height on yours as a test. While you are not technically sitting on the bump stops, you aren't that far off, and you feel that over every bump or rut.

With a lowering tool such as IIDTool or Llams you can lower the car about 20 mm - about 3/4", the equivalent of "high speed" mode, not quite as low as access and an acceptable compromise if you MUST lower the car permanently (if you do, get an alignment.) I drive that way on the highway at full speed or when going up/down mountain roads at a good clip, the lower center of gravity helps the handling. But normal height is still more comfortable for routine city driving over bumps, broken pavement, etc., those 20 mm don't sounds like much but make a big difference.

If the fender gap bothers you so much... buy moderately oversized tires instead? If anything, your comfort will increase, fender gap will decrease. Everyone's happy. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM