LR3 alternator replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to be that time... I got the "low power mode" on the stereo again..

When I bought my LR3 3 years ago I went through all this and had the alternator changed out, now I am probably having to do it again :(

resting voltage 12V, on the go 13V max... :(

I got stung for $1300 last time, which was not cool. How much should this cost?

I just don't have the tools to do this at home, the joys of being an ex-pat...

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent around $250. Depends on if you want OEM or new vs. rebuilt I guess, but $1300 is nuts. Was it gold plated?

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a reference point. I paid $844.31 at the dealer. $516.18 for the alternator and 328.13 for labor. Date of service 01.06.15

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also paid ~$160 for aftermarket (drop shipped) and $315 labor installed at a generic independent shop. I typically only use these guys for oil changes and wheel installs, but they said this alternator install required no land rover specific tools or skills.

Also- Im not sure "low power mode" on the stereo is a good indicator of weak alternator. I have seen that message occasionally for about as long as I have owned the truck. Replacing the battery seems to make it go away for a while. When my alternator died the red charging dash warning light came on. Systems like EAS and ABS started shutting down almost immediately. I added a 2nd battery and managed to drive 3 hours on the stock battery(s) and it was down to limited transmission gears. The cleaver shutdown of non-essential systems got me home!

Last edited:

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks have passed and there is no change. I was drawn into panic for no reason by the look of it...

I guess since we paid our LR3 off I have just been waiting for something to go wrong! It only has 71k miles on it though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9