LR3 'churping' sound coming from dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

CTRover

No, there's no bird in the dash. But there is a 'churping' sound coming from behind the dash more towards the center. It happens when I'm going over 50mph, mainly on the highway. It's definetly not engine related. Not sure if the Nav is loose or something.
Has anyone else experienced this? I called my LR dealer and they hadn't heard of the problem and I'm reluctent to bring it in and have them rip the thing apart.
Any experiences out there? I have a 2005 LR3 with Nav.

thanks!!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sounds like a soleniod "pinging" away for a short time? Not unlike the spring sound a ball point click pen makes?

If so, that is the component that controls the ABS and DSC braking functions

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same problem. It ended up being a clip on the passenger side of the dash near the ac/heater vent. LR fixed it for me.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chirp as well, on the passenger side of my 2005, which shows up at 45mph+ and somewhat intermittently but drives me insane when it does. Help would be appreciated.

I pulled the vent bracket off to try to diagnose the problem but the noise source wasn't obvious... it wasn't coming from the glove box or any visible / obvious area. To me it sounds like it could be from behind the ac/heater duct, but I didn't feel like ripping everything apart...

C

CTRover

Thanks all.
tommithy - I'll look at the clip.
dropper - Sounds like same issue.
I might take it in to the dealer and take a ride so they can listen to it. Just hate for them to rip everything apart.
As soon as I find the cause I'll post it.

Thanks very much.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of troubleshooting, wondering if your front right (or left for that matter) fender trim is loose?

I found that my trim comes loose easily and when I bonk it a bit it exudes a similar sound to what I hear inside the car at 45 mph+... I'm going to experiment with tightening it down.

Learth

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone else had this problem recently? It just started in my '06. Same symptom: Going over 50MPH on the highway. Must be related to the air intake. I will take it to the dealer soon and will post the results. Thanks.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO am am not the only one with this issue! I too suffered the squeaky dash until I took mine into the dealer and they fixed the clips and added some foam strips between the windscreen and the dash. That worked for me!

newc_rob

Reaction score
I am having the same issues with my 08. Sounds like a faint chirp is coming from the glove box area. I had it in the dealer last week to have the windshield cowl replaced and was thinking maybe I had water in my blower. The tech could not replicate it so no fix. I heard it again on the highway driving home so maybe will look to see if I see anything loose behind the glove box.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 6 months of squeaking, I was finally able to pinpoint my sounds. (1) Graphite on the catch mechanism of the glove box. (2) Zip-Ties on the second row seat warmer wiring looms. (3) Light lithium grease on the second row hinge pins. (4) Re-Torquing (sp??) ALL the seat mounting bolts. Ahhhh. Quiet again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge