LR3 makes "Worst of the Worst" used car list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geoaustin

Reaction score
I've been using LR Denver East since I moved up here and have only received excellent service, but that would be even farther for you from Boulder, though not as far as the springs.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 worst used vehicle...

My LR3 is sitting in the driveway with a bad diff, stuck in access height, check engine light illuminated for the third time this month, failing NAV screen and a cracked $800 windshield. Great truck, but not sure I'd buy a used one.

10 days to get a service appointment and the diff is on "galactic backorder"...

Warranty and a second tow vehicle would be essential.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005. Been pretty reliable until the last couple of months...a few hundred miles to go until I hit the 50,000 mile mark.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a pain in the ****--sorry to hear that, but thankfully it's still under warranty!!:biggrin:

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercedes-Benz SL is also on the Worst car list....it kicks ass in its class too

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled out a JD Powers New Car Survey on my new 08 LR3 today and was simply amazed that after 3 months and 4,600 miles there wasn't a single thing that I marked less than "Outstanding" and there were a bunch of items marked "Truly Exceptional". This vehicle feels so much more solid than my 05 did, and none of the things that ****** me off about the 05 in the first 3 months have been a problem with the 08.

Maybe the "Worst of the Worst" list is heavily weighted with first-year problems.

David

tcpfl

Reaction score
I've got an '04 D2 and an 06 LR3 which I purchased new. The only problem I've had the the D2 was (I'm embarassed to say) when I took out the front ash tray to clean it and couldn't get it to go back in. I had them fix it at my next oil change. I've had two problems with the LR3. 1st was a transmisson shifting problem. Turned out to be a software upgrade. 2nd was a 4 wheel alignment which was not set correctly from the factory. If that makes for a worst of the worst used car, I'll take one anytime!! However, the D2 is paid for and the LR3 only has a few more payments so I'll be keeping these for a while.
Tom

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the CR reports listing *generally* assumes the LR3 is lumped in with the Disco. While purchasing a Rover has it's perks and quirks, I'd hardly use CR as a measuring point for which vehicle I'd like to purchase. They have no true tests of the LR vehicles, but utilize a survey, and of those surveys, how many are likely returned. If CR took it a bit further, reported how many surveys they issue, how many were answered, total number of each vehicle year sales, and the number of positive vs negative, or vice versa related to each years sales. It would be a better picture. Unfortunately CR loves to lump things together and call it truth.

For example from the CR link.

"CR Good Bets and Bad Bets include only the models for which we have sufficient data for at least three model years"

So what is "sufficient data" and how do you qualify such scenarios? Also they lumped 1998-2007. So do they have sufficient data on three years of the LR3 05-07, or again is it just lumped in there? As a consumer, I'd want a bit more explanation backing up the facts or sources for a report than just the report.

just my two cents. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM