lr3 not shifting right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah....DeLa, why didn't you heed the advice of the forum and make SURE your dealer inspected the brake lamp bulbs? You will learn over time that this forum generally knows more than a typical service department in terms of LR3 nuances and issues.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes hard to convince dealer

I am fortunate in that I have a good dealer - they know not to believe the T4 test equipment solutions, but the Forum can still teach them solutions.

They are a bit sceptical of my upcoming attempt to replace the upper hatch release rubber thingy with a RRS rear door rubber latch thingy, part number YUZ500030 and or YUZ 500030.

It will most likely not be plug and play, but it beats removing the whole license plate light and handle assembly. If I did that, then I would order the LR4 one with the reverse camera and create a whole new set of problems connecting it to the NAV - can be done apparently, but not for the faint of heart or out in the -40C.

I just got the switch today but it is improved over the existing - tar over the micro switch to keep moisture out and good around the perimeter of the rubber boot, again to keep moisture out.

Once I get it installed, I will do up a new thread on how it went. The new switch has a pigtail and connector; my existing is a part of a larger harness, (I think), so I have to cut and splice wires - well am going to try to get the other half of the connector, but doubt if I will be successful - the connectors are some kind of German brand I think. Ford claims no knowledge of them. For what it is worth, the old switch has the Ford logo on it; the new one, the Land Rover logo. The brake switch is the opposite - old once has the LR logo; the new one, the Ford logo - go figure! The link is to the upper rear hatch door switch repair.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic17072-15.html

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, the used cars from dealers with original batteries can cause immediate problems as they sit on lots for weeks without proper charge. I went through 4 used Land Rovers from different dealers showing the same faults. Couldn't have been a coincidence - Now that I think about it the cars may have been fine, its just that their weak batteries were throwing faults etc.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<snip>
When brake light filaments are not as they should be, the computers pick this up as any number of problems. Dealers have installed brand new automatic transmissions due to owners installing non Land Rover supplied bulbs and hence the problem remains. When the dealer discovers the non OEM bulb, you are paying for the new tranny or you do not get your 3 back.
<snip>

So you are saying, the dealer doesn't have the common sense to check the bulbs first thing?

I recently replaced my switch, after having a failure in heavy traffic. Two months later, same error occurred in heavy traffic again. I just replaced all bulbs, we'll see. That is certainly an intermittent problem. I saved the old bulbs for testing though visual inspection seemed normal.

Grin

Last edited:

jthomsen

Reaction score
Thank you Bbyer!

My wife told me she had a problem where our Landrover LR3 wasn't automatically shift it. She thought she hit one for the center controls (hi/low, all terrain controls), so she stopped and played with them to ensure everything was set right. It later on happened to me. My first thought was crap - tranny is going bad at 52,000 miles. However, one poor man's diagnostic (Command Shift manual worked fine) told me this wasn't the case. I then stumbled upon this blog and your poast. I also remembered changing the left brakebulb with a Autozone cheapy. Checked it and sure enough it was out. I replaced it with the second bulb I had in the pack. Didn't have the bulb all the way seated and noticed an HDC transmission fault - another strong indicator on how right you are that a bulb can wreak havoc. Reseated the bulb, started her up. The dash error went away and the transmission is shifting perfectly. My next stop is to a Landrover dealer to get the OEM bulbs and to order the brake switch. I cannot thank you enough for the advice. It saved me a ton of cash!

P.S. - I can't say how reluctant I was that this would work. Definitely try Bbyer's suggestion before freaking out and thinking you got a busted tranny!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4