LR3 Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that there have been a lot of threads about the various tires available for the LR3 - and the merits of those tires.
So I apologize for re-hashing an old topic.
However, quick question:
I'm looking at a buy 2 get 2 free deal from NTB on my 2008 LR3 HSE.
The tire options are the Pirelli Scorpion Zero or the Nitto Crosstek CUV.
Which of these are the better tire?
Has anyone experienced any problems with either of these tires on their LR3?
Thanks in advance.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy squat from NTB, bunch of crooks. Once they get it in the shop, they'll commence to gutting your wallet.

ssloane

Reaction score
curious if that deal works for you, my local NTB said that it didn't include "my" tire size. 19" HSE wheel

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Pirelli Zero's on my GL550. They look awesome and track well, but the tread wear is horrible. Its soft compound is the cause. Again, comfortable tire, but don't expect more than 20-25k miles out of them.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
Go with the GY Silent Armor. A really awesome all around tire.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dig my Nitto Terra Grapplers, but they are more agressive from the Crosstek. I've heard the Scorpians are a great tire overall, but wear really fast....like less than 20k from a set.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so talked to a couple more sources and was recommended by my local tire shop - very trusted - to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros'. They're a name brand for one thing. However, my guys - Montvale Tire - can't even buy the Pirelli's or Nitto's at the price I was quoted. Once I have the tires on I'll take the LR elsewhere for servicing, etc. Granted, the Pirelli's are a softer compound tire but if I get 30k miles out of them that would be great. The next tire will likely be the Nokian WR2 as they're good in snow and my LR doesn't spend a lot of time off road. Tough to find a good tire in the 19" rims. I have 4 18" rims that I'll set up for off road tires and use - when I get the $$$.
In reading reviews of NTB it seems that the bulk of complaints were from up-selling on suspensions, brakes, etc. Since I'll only use them for the tires I should avoid all that. I also just confirmed the pricing - $880.43 for everything, tax included, for either tire. My local tire guy called NTB on his own, the Woburn location, and didn't get that pricing but each tire shop may have different warehouses to pull from. Who knows.
If anyone has any more experience with either of these tire brands/types drop a note here. Thanks.

metalslug

Reaction score
I went with Michelin Latitude 260/55/19 tires. They were a bit expensive but I'm pleased with them so far.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price/cost being an issue these days I went with the deal on the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. $885.00 for everything, out the door!
I get that the Pirelli's wear faster so two things: I'll drive a bit less on the LR and save up for a set of Nokian WR G2 tires - better in the winter here my local shop says.
So far, the NTB in Everett, MA on the Revere Parkway lived up to their advertisement. They did try to up-sell my on a power steering fluid flush and replacement. But having had the LR in to the LR dealership on December 29 I passed. I think that's where they get most customers and where most of the complaints stem from, up-selling that may not be needed, and then perhaps shoddy work on those services.
Anyway, will post more as I put more miles and wear on the tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72