LR3 V6 vs. V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awayteam

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere here, but I couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm wanting to join the LR3 club (moving up from a Honda Element), and with the gas prices the way they are, I thought sourcing out a 2007 V6 model would be my best bet for a little better gas mileage.

I found a couple 2007 dealer loaners (V6 SE) around 5,000 miles each, both priced around $35,000. Sound reasonable?

My question is, besides the obvious power loss, is there anything major that would make you NOT get the V6 over the V8 model? Are there any reliability issues with the V6 (it concerns me they dropped the model for 2008)?

Thanks in advance.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have the same concerns about the dropping of the V6, but only for support purposes. I don't think they dropped it because it sucked, only that the US market was probably soft for that model.

Only thing...I'm not sure that the fuel efficiency was THAT much better than the V8.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the window sticker stated the V6 as getting 1 mpg better then the V8. IMO definitely not worth the loss in power.

awayteam

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't think they were that close in MPG rating. So basically, guys only buy the V6 model for the price savings?

What does an average V8 LR3 get per gallon in the real world?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will not save any gas with a V6. cant tell you by actual experience with the LR3, but i have owned a dozen SUV's of all makes and nothing changes. All are in the 12-18MPG average. my V8 LR3 is about 12-14 city and 18-20 highway in the summer months. winter is about 1mpg less. IMO this vehicle in a V6 is a waste of money. it still weighs a rediculous amount but with a V6 has less power to move it. dont buy an LR3 or really an SUV of this type/size for MPG. Still wouldnt give it up no matter what.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second everything techboydino says....the numbers too. I can get 20+ on the freeway but only if I'm driving with that intention (slow and subtle accelerations). I would even go a step further than techboy and say that unless you plan to go offroad regularly, there are probably better choices to make than the LR3. I think that the LR3 is a 4x4 first, and a SUV by today's definition second.

If you want something with superb on-road manners and enough gadgetry to get you up and down the mountain to the ski lodge, and to the campsite once or twice a week, check out the X5. I really liked the X5 on the road. That's just my opinion.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you want 7 real seats. That was actually a major reason I bought my LR3 in December 2004. Since then the Mazda CX-9 and Buick Enclave have presented reasonably affordable, realistic 7 seaters; but then you are essentially confessing that you are never leaving the pavement.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7 real seats, but LR3 is only non-minivan vehicle (no other SUV like it) with third row access that's close to a center pass through. With a second row seat split in thirds, LR3 permits permanent installation of two car seats (outboard and center) while the opposite outboard still flips for easy access to the back. Can't do that with a 60/40 split second row (like Mazda, et al.). The GM triplets offer captain's chair middle seats, but then three must cram in the rear - and those are so much bigger, even if more van-like and slightly more efficient.
In any case, we bought for the top-shelf seating package. Economy sux. V-6 is a bad investment, IMHO, compared to V8 for resale. Can't believe that even 1mpg difference really matters.

awayteam

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the comments. I've always wanted a LR, and the LR3 with the third row of seating is exactly what I want. I live in rural Ohio, and could definitely use some off-road prowess in the winter when they leave roads uncleared for days.

It's sounding like a V8 is strongly preferred. I don't want to turn this into a "what LR3 should I buy" thread, but if you were buying your first LR3, how would you go about it? Would you get a brand new 2008 or try to find a used model? (I really wouldn't want one older than 2007.)

Also, what's your feeling about the 2007 V6 (5,000 dealer loaner miles) with full warranty for $36,000? I realize a V8 is preferred, but is this a good enough price for you to consider buying a V6 model?

Thanks!

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first time buyer....me too. honestly, there is really no way i could have afforded an LR3 if it werent for my 2 year Iraq deployment. So I figured while I have the money, im gonna do it and do it right. I probably will not be able to buy another new one ever, or at least for a while so it was a once and done deal. I bought brand new from the showroom floor with everything i wanted for a hair under $50K in '06. If I was not going to buy new I would get only an off lease or dealer loaner.

Warranty is important to me on this vehicle. I bought the extended and haggled my way down to a good price. With used, you lose any hope of a warranty. For me the only V6 option would have been a diesel. I could have gotten one overseas but all the dealers at home laughed at me when I asked about service on a diesel.

This would be my criteria:
-NAV, must have. Why not get it and be done with it from the get go.
-V8, not an option
-7 row seating. Rarely use it, but came through in a pinch a couple times
-HD package, dont have it, would have paid a few grand more to order it and waited at least 6 weeks. If ordering new, definetely.
-Extended warranty, definetely. Dont want to think about major repairs until I get over 100K miles
-18" wheels were a must. allows maximum tire.
-Lighting, cold weather packages are really up to you. I have them both.

Gas mileage needs to be a minimal concern with this vehicle. It really cant be a concern when looking for a vehicle like this. Thats my story and my .02. Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge