LR3 V6 vs. V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty not foreclosed if purchased used, you just add it at the dealer or aftermarket for additional cost. NAV is always so costly from car makers and only any good if you use it lots, it's a hassle otherwise based on my experience of having to **** or accept the screen each start up and losing the cubby storage. The Bluetooth and Voice Commands are more useful. HID is a must for rural driving on any car, IMHO. One can add lumbar (to an 06, see my post) or heated seats if missing, but the 7 seats must come with and add to resale and use. That V6 price is no steal, but don't let us worry your money if you like it.

awayteam

Reaction score
I called around a couple more places this morning. I found a dealer-loaner 2008 V8 SE with 500 miles on it for $45,500. The salesman claims that's only about $800 more than the dealer paid for the vehicle. It's never been titled and comes with full warranty. Thoughts?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - why is this dealer charging you more than cost for a USED car? Retail - I don't get it. Maybe at that price with the 100,000 mile plan and strong financing, if you need it? Have him buy you "anything but Goodyears" while you're at it, too!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get into a 2006 V8 HSE with 20,000 miles for around $30k. I'm in chicago and the local dealer is getting back their leased LR3's with low milage because they've been city cars. Granted that's all city driving which isn't ideal but still low overall miles (and preumably no offroading). I have an HSE and the tire options aren't the greatest so that's a drawback. Whatever you buy make sure they swap out the goodyears for anything else. With gas prices where they are - and heading upwards I doubt used LR3's will be in high demand. I bet you could get yourself a pretty good deal on a lease return with an extended warranty included.

Last edited:

awayteam

Reaction score
It looks like invoice for the 2008 SE is $44,933. I also thought it was odd that he was trying to make money on a basically used LR3. I've had past experiences with buying new cars and only paying $500 over invoice -- for a totally new car, not one with 500 miles on it.

Thanks for the lease-returns idea. I'm with you -- I just can't imagine V8 SUVs like the LR3 are in demand right now. That's why I was hoping to find a great deal somewhere.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers generally have a loaner program that gives the dealer some allowances, too, even at only 500 miles - but why sell one so young? Did it get hit? BTW, they make money at even invoice on ad allowances and holdbacks, other programs to move metal. They don't do us any favors. Depending upon your tolerance for used, a 2007 SE with 15000 or so miles with no evidence of damage for the effective discount I see is a steel, and 2006 at about 50% of retail seems like a good risk (I hope, anyway!).

awayteam

Reaction score
Yes, it's the "youngest" loaner I've found. All the others have around 5,000 miles on them. This dealership says they just don't like their loaners to get that many miles on them. They say they're obviously easier to sell with 500 miles or less on them.

I've called around again today and no one seems to want to get anywhere near invoice on a brand new 2008 SE. They all say they really don't come down any further than $2,000 below MSRP. I think that's pretty crazy considering the economic slump and gas prices right now.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is crazy, but as long as it's a standard practice that is adhered to, it fixes the price, huh? The price "is what it is" and it's kind of a form of legal collusion.

The pros and cons of a buying a loaner are pretty simple, too. I think loaners are generally more abused than other previously-owned cars, BUT they are maintained by the dealer and can be purchased with warranty. I guess finding a "young" one is a good way to go.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try metro Detroit? A guy at one dealer flat out told me his sales are in the tank.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Techboy's list is pretty good:

This would be my criteria:
-NAV, must have. Why not get it and be done with it from the get go.
-V8, not an option
-7 row seating. Rarely use it, but came through in a pinch a couple times
-HD package, dont have it, would have paid a few grand more to order it and waited at least 6 weeks. If ordering new, definetely.
-Extended warranty, definetely. Dont want to think about major repairs until I get over 100K miles
-18" wheels were a must. allows maximum tire.
-Lighting, cold weather packages are really up to you. I have them both.

However, I would say no to the Nav. It's too expensive to update from time to time, and ni a year or two, the graphics will look archaic compared to a cheap Garmin or Magellan Crossover if you are going off road.

I also think the cold weather package and Xeon lights are fantastic. If you are getting a used one, you should not pay more than $32k, including the warranty. I would look real hard at the tires, and if they are NOT Goodyear Wrangler HP's, that's a good thing!

Before you drive it off the lot, insist that all, as in ALL, as in EVERYONE OF THE TSB's for that VIN are checked and addressed. Also insist in a new flash of the software so that the system can relearn how to run based on your throttle habits, not the previous owner's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge