LR3 wanders with 7 passengers - need diagnosis help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

km7648

Reaction score
The alignment shop called it for inner tie rod ends. Replaced them tonight (wrong parts 3 times) and taking it back for the alignment.

They quoted $578 for the work vs. $105 for the Moog parts I bought. I could barely detect any play even with the parts off the vehicle.

We'll see...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires and tire pressure make a difference. Our new LR4 (when loaded with 2000 pounds of boxes) feels more prone to wander and sway than our old LR3 when loaded. I suspect that the Conti 4x4 tires on the LR4 have softer sidewalls than the Cooper Zeons on the LR3.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might look closely at your air pressure and raise it about 5 pounds front and rear and see if that helps the tracking issue.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember Land Rover Seattle doing mine for a fairly cheap price...

Took your recommendation and got it done Friday at Seattle dealership. Fast scheduling, quick turn around and a great price. Car already feels better in handling and no more clunks from front! They also updated the software to the latest version with super nominal charge. Happy camper. Now time to get some off-road tires from Mack73 before the next trip out.

P.S. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP issue

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice...you gonna come out with us next Saturday then?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alignment shop called it for inner tie rod ends. Replaced them tonight (wrong parts 3 times) and taking it back for the alignment.

They quoted $578 for the work vs. $105 for the Moog parts I bought. I could barely detect any play even with the parts off the vehicle.

We'll see...
Let us know how that works for you.

I have a 2005 with 150K on it and when I go on vacation the thing is loaded up...4 people + dog, a Yakima skybox up top packed full of gear, with surf boards tied on top of the box, and a tray hanging off the trailer hitch full with heavy bags and kid's bike on top of them (we pack too much, but I also have a lot of toys). Point being...I feel that my truck rides the same with just one person in it as it does all loaded up. Sure, some minor differences, but not enough that my wife notices (and I don't think twice about her driving when loaded).

Definitely sounds like it was suspension related and I hope you nailed it. I run with the factory recommended tire pressure.

km7648

Reaction score
So, I replaced the inner tie rods and had the alignment done. Much better but not "good as new"

The tire shop did advise me they have had lot's of issues with tires on LR3 without a high enough load rating. The tire sidewalls flex to much and as he says, it gets a little squirrely.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112