LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working your way through some difficult situation - stream bed, steep rocks - one may get through with a lot of bashing and spinning, but you trash both the vehicle and the terrain. Using low range and locking diff makes a huge difference in working through difficult situations cleanly. Pulling out a stuck vehicle it becomes even more important to be able to "lock up" and go slow.

It took me a while of searching to find a 2011 with HD and the color I wanted, but it was worth the wait! In the first 10 days I pulled a Toy Tacoma and a 1-ton Chevy out of snowbanks. The locking rear diff doesn't engage very often, and I wish there was a way to force it to engage, but I'm sure glad it is there when I need it.

Being a "good Samaritan" is just one little bonus pleasure of having such a capable vehicle.

As others have mentioned, full size spare should be a "no brainer" if you have any intention of using the LR4 either off-road or for towing. As an additional thought, LR4 uses a pretty unique tire size, not likely in stock outside of major cities. If you have the donut spare and have a blowout far from a city, you may be driving on that donut for a while!

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I am trying to find a used LR4 with the Heavy Duty package so it will have the locking rear differential. Some used non-land rover dealers don't have the window sticker. With out that how can you tell if it has the locking diff? Does it have a button to engage it or is it automatically engaged?

Thanks,

Jud

1982 Unimog Doka
1975 Volvo TGB 1314
1975 Volvo C303
1975 Volvo C304
2009 Custom Rock Crawler
And soon to be LR4 owner

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
On the build sheet they were able to pull it says

Description: 13MY LR4 (350HD) HSE

But does not have it as an option with an additional price on the MSRP build sheet???

Thanks,

Jud

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the 4x4 info screen, on a 2013, it will only show the rear lock symbol if it has a locker.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One tipoff is finding a FULL SIZE SPARE on a full size alloy wheel that matches the rest of the wheels on the vehicle. In 2013, the Heavy Duty package included that as well as the locking differential. No full size spare and alloy wheel means likely no locker. Just checked my window sticker and there is no code, just listed as a $750 option.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: Has anyone ever added the locker after purchase? It wasn't an option on my used 13 LR4 LUX. I asked the service manager at my local dealer if the HD package could be added and he told me no, its done on the assembly line. I assumed he would know and dropped the issue and put the money towards improving traction by switching to Nokian WRG2's ...

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I saw that the Overland Journal installed ARB lockers but it seems as though they are not available anymore. Does anyone know if these can still be purchased and what they cost including air compressor?

And if anyone knows of a Heavy Duty low miles LR4 for sale please let me know. I have been searching the internet for days trying to find one.

Thanks,

Jud

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it have Rock Crawl mode if it has the LRD and vice versa? I know that is the case for my to-be-built/shipped '14 LR4.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it have Rock Crawl mode if it has the LRD and vice versa? I know that is the case for my to-be-built/shipped '14 LR4.

Every LR4 had Rock Crawl mode from 2010-2013 with or without the HD Package I believe. This is based on the 2-speed transfer case and not the locker.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that the Overland Journal installed ARB lockers but it seems as though they are not available anymore. Does anyone know if these can still be purchased and what they cost including air compressor?

Adrenalin:

The way I read the Overland Journal article made it seem like these were somewhat pre-production models as they were trying to complete them and have them installed in time for SEMA. I went back and read the article again and it said they would be ready by the end for 2013. It could be that they were not able to make that deadline and have not started production yet.

My best guess would be you could do the single compressor which is about $300 and probably ~$1,000 a locker. So if you did front and rear it would be ~$2,000. Add in labor which will probably be around ~$1,000 as well, maybe less, could possibly get a deal on the install. I would think it would be at least $3,500 to $4,500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635