Magnaflow Cat-Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discoskc

Turns out that my Cat-Converter was not totally bad. Most of the rattling was coming from the resonator in the exhaust. Hopefully that would go away with me putting in the Borla exhaust on Monday.

On the Cat-Converter, even if the rattling is not that bad in the cat, would it be alright if i replaced it with a Magnaflow 94004? Or should I wait till the rattling increases to do so?

Does a Magnaflow perform better than stock? Does anyone know?

SKC.

----------------------
95 Disco
67K miles

D

discomike

Convertors fail because of the engine and how it is running, so yes replace the cat sooner then later or it will end up in the muffler. Then find out what went wrong with your engine, most likely too much fuel getting into the cat so check each plug on the engine to find one that may be running rough. Have you replaced your plug wires yet, if not they could be the problem.
You need to go thru and find the problem or it will happen again and probably sooner then later.
Mike J.

D

discoskc

Less than 10 K on plugs and wires

Mike,

I changed the plugs and wires less than 10K miles ago. Replaced with Champion plugs and genuine wires (from the dealer no less).

I got a fuel emission check recently and it came clean. Not sure if a Cat-Converter and rich fuel mixture would show up in that test.

I must sound like a total dunce, since that is exactly what I am when it comes to my Disco. Hence these seemingly idiotic questions.

Other than taking to a dealer, how else can I find out what is wrong in my engine? I recently ran Seafoam through and it made my engine purr again. I do not have an independent shop I can take to who does not charge me through the nose for everything. I guess I have something stamped on my forehead saying "dunce coming".

SKC.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a chance Mike, that, dependent upon the year and milleage of the vehicle, the cat just failed like it is naturally designed to due. A rich or poor running engine will most defintely cause a cat to fail prematurely, but they all fail at some point regardless of how smooth or rough the engine is running.

D

discomike

I only mentioned to check everything before you replace your cat to save you from having it happen again Cats fail due to contamination from either gas, oil ar coolant, and yours has failed early for whatever reason.
As long as you are OK with everything, that is all that matters.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you had rattle in resonator - it would be b/c matrix already went off from cats to there. So you have nicely blocked passages. It may cause all sorts of wonderfull things ;(

Answering questions: magnaflow stuff will perform a tick better than OE , but nothing drastic. Also sound will change a tick.

D

discoskc

I think so too

Sergei,

I think that was where my air-flow blockages was happening. I used to think that if the rattle was in the Cat, it needed to heat up a lot for the blockage to happen. But since the blockage was more in the resonator and a bit in the cats, it did not take much to stop everything from shutting down.

I wonder what other problems this must have caused my baby. I just hope that replacing the cats and the exhaust will allow me some more time to figure out what else has gone wrong.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you replacing cats - you can ask nicely muffler shop folks to check out flow in rest of system. If they arent complete gitts - they will do it for free right there.

But most likely thats what it was - either matrix fell off and blocking muffler flow or muffler's packing material gave up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM