Mass Air Flow sensor power delay problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brillo Pad

Reaction score
(2001 Disco II)

A while ago I posted a thread about a problem I was having with some codes and a service engine light - and with this forum's help was able to track the issue down to the mass airflow sensor. I ordered a new sensor online and easily swapped out the old one. Sure enough after a couple restarts and miles the service engine light turned off.

However, all was not well. With the new MAF sensor, I gained a new problem. From a standstill there developed a pretty big delay from the time I put my foot on the gas to the time I received any real acceleration - to the point of being too dangerous to attempt to pull out into steady traffic. To be on the safe side I put the old MAF sensor back in. The service engine light came back on, but the power delay issue disappeared.

I called my closest Land Rover dealer (90 miles away) and they said most likely the system needs to be reset and I should be able to get this done with a generic code reader at any autozone. I put the new sensor back in and gave this a shot but it still didn't fix the issue.

As a last ditch attempt I'm going to leave the negative battery terminal unplugged over night to hopefull completely reset the computer, but I'm really just grasping at straws now.

Any body have any idea why I might be having this problem and how I might be able to solve it?

Thanks very much,
- Mike

Brillo Pad

Reaction score
an additional problem

Oh yeah, I got another issue I wanted to run by whoever might see this. I don't think this is a related issue to the MAF sensor because it's a relatively recent development.
I'm getting a whining noise from the engine when I accelerate. I just recently had to have my power stearing pump replaced and the noise from that was almost identical, but this time the noise does not co-encide with the stearing, only accleration. I lived with the bad stearing pump for so long, I can't remember if this noise was normal before the pump started going bad. Any ideas?

Thanks again,
- Mike

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Noise you are hear is probably the S-Belt tensioner, if this is the issue change it. Since the D2 model is made of plastic and doesn't survive well when the bearings start to go. You check it with a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver.

MAF sensor could need the ECU reset, and no a OBDII scanner will not do the job, you need a Testbook or Autologic (very high end Land Rover specific computer) Dealer or hopefully a local shop that works on Rovers.

Brillo Pad

Reaction score
Thanks Joey, I'll check out the S-Belt tensioner and see if I can find someone with the equipment to reset the ECU.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635