Midwest storm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local Chicago forecast calls for 2 feet of snow in the next 24 hours. I've never had my LR3 in anything more that 6", looking forward to see how it fares in challenging conditions.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot's of fun! Unfortunately they're calling for only 12" locally; still fun, but it's driveable in my snowtire equiped RWD coupe (though much easier in the LR3). Get out and play - but be safe!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to bring your camera and post some pics!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the East Coast of the storm this morning...

IMG_2730_31_29_tonemappedSmall.jpg

IMG_2707Small.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Any surprise faults at start-up?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have got 1/2 inch of ice build up (similar to what JackMac discovered this morning) in Central NJ.I actually had no time for pictures, I immediately got busy with crushing it from our cars and re parking them on friends driveway,since ice started falling from power lines on my glass roof as well as the front windshield,big chunks of ice.... my neighbor's car was not so lucky, his sunroof give up under the force of one of the falling pieces ...scary stuff...I rather have two feet of snow, than storm of freezing water.This storm was big fro sure, but not for us in NJ, although, this winter is surprisingly busy , with seven snow storms so far ( since DEC.28) . We broke all records in my area with over 70 inches of snow and February usually brings the biggest, so it is not over yet.I know that Chicago got a lot , but this year , we rule, starting with storm on Christmas day that produced 3 feet of snow in my town and some other coastal areas. That was our first and big storm and it only happened a month a go, then there was a couple more with average of 12 to 21 inches . Funny thing is that weather channel usually called for 3-6 inches locally , but we always ended up with with more,like last week for example, it suppose to be 4-6 and we got 21...first one suppose to bring 3-6 ...but we got pounded with 36 inches , they were a miles off this winter , I tell you that...but one thing for sure , it was a a LOT of fun driving after those blizzards testing Nokians WR G2 ,s and they performed superbly.I guess I prayed too hard for snow storms this winter , well at least i got what I wanted,I love snow...especially skiing on it.:cool:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 performed flawlessly, plowed through all conditions with ease. Took it out last night about 10 p.m. drove to Lakeshore Drive to witness the full fury of the wind (was 40 mph). Lakeshore was blocked but I went up and down inner drive (parallell to Lakeshore). I tried to take pictures but you couldn't see 20 feet past the headights, I've never seen wind, snow, and lighting all at once. We had "thundersnow".

Went out this morning with my flip video player mounted to the drivers side (USA) mirror, took a few videos. We only saw about 10 total cars on the road besides us (saw a few RR and another LR3). The videos aren't all that action packed as the LR3 goes right through the conditions, but the 2nd video (at 42 seconds) shows the wind and snow power as we are facing Lakeshore drive as we start out (Superior St. and inner Lakeshore)

Driving towards Lakeshore Drive: YouTube - Video 11

Driving from Lakeshore Drive to Lincoln Park: YouTube - Video 12 trimmed

LRB

Reaction score
Wow Lakeshore was done. I live in Romeoville 35 miles southwest of downtown Chicago. Last night about 10pm my power went out. I have 4 girls if you include the wife, my kids are all under 8yo.....So I decided after an hour that we were gonna freeze if we stayed. Got in the LR3 to drive to my parents in Lemont (about 15 miles away). Got about a mile away and had to turn around...not because the LR3 couldnt make it but because all the other cars and police had left thier cars in the middle of the main road to get out. It was nuts...Ive never seen this kind of weather. We were the only ones moving along with a couple of city plows. Anyway I had to turn around and sleep in the cold house but we made it over there at 6am today. I would have never even made it this morning without the truck....I55 was carved out 1 lane this morning...crazy. It felt like a different world out there. Love the Lr3. 83k miles and runs like its new...did everything they said it would.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjvd21, awesome videos. Is it bad that I'm somewhat jealous? It's 21deg in austin and still no snow. Everything is nice and dry, business as usual. Glad to see the LR3 tackling the weather.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM