Most helpful guys on the internet award

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoorLifeDecisions

Reaction score
Agreed, I'm new to Land Rovers (but not the Jag side of JLR) and even though my LR4 has given me its fair share of hurdles, I still love it and the support and positivity that I have found on this forum definitely makes a difference. I've been through different makes and forums and I gotta say, you guys are second to none.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, this is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I have ever been part of. Any question is accepted and gladly answered. This is truly a community of LR4 enthusiasts.

I'm on another Defender forum that is packed with people just considering a Defender. Lots of negativity toward JLR as JD Power and Consumer Reports reliability charts are frequently posted. Then there are all the Defender vs. Bronco comparison shoppers.

Many new Defender owners have never owned a JLR product before and can't accept any issue that comes up. Constant complaining and some have already moved on from their Defender. So what if the A-pillar trim falls off, it's under warranty. XM radio disappears, a simple restart fixes that. Redesigned gas cap holder is completely useless so just let it hang while you refuel. These aren't defects, it's all part of the British charm and personality that we here have learned to appreciate.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned several off-road vehicles. Multiple Land Cruisers, Jeeps, and Land Rovers.

My last vehicle before my current LR4 was a Wrangler Unlimited. Sounds petty and strange, but one of the reasons that soured me on owning it was the Jeep forums were filled with morons. A lot of good people too, but the morons were vocal, if you can imagine that.

As of right now, I'm planning on keeping my LR4 for another few years. I've thought about the Bronco, but reviews of the interior quality have me second-guessing that. I've thought about a Gladiator diesel, but I have yet to sit in one and, at 6' 5" tall, I have read reports that indicate it might not be for tall people. I know the Defender has its shortcomings, but one of the strongest things that weighs in its favor is the online Rover community. I hope that Defender forum nonsense works itself out.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 6'5" you will like the Defender. Front seat and rear seat leg room are a few inches bigger than the LR4. Roofline may be taller as well. Downside is a smaller rear cargo area, at least until the 130 appears. And the Defender shoppers & Bronco buyers will eventually stop trolling the forum.

For ultimate d-bag forum, try the X5 forum. We are trying to decide between another Defender or an X5 to replace our aging LR4. X5 M50i may have won us over. But so many of the X5 forum members fit that BMW driver stereotype. (Arrogant, know-it-all, bought an X5 to impress others, not because of how well it drives and handles...)

PoorLifeDecisions

Reaction score
Paul, since it seems you're after a (high) performance crossover, have you considered the Alfa Stelvio QV? Granted its smaller, but for someone who can laugh in the face of faulty characterful vehicles, the Alfa just oozes with fizz. I haven't owned the QV, but had a standard Stelvio for a few years and spent a lot of seat time in the Giulia QV. They are literally what one would imagine if Ferrari were to design a "mass market" crossover or ///M vehicle, which technically they did. Also, ours was very reliable, only had 1 or 2 minor issues throughout the 3 years we had it.

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t think of any currently in-production truck I’d want to buy right now. I guess the current defender is closest thing, but if I had to buy something else right now, I’d be going backwards. I love the vintage defenders, broncos, and cruisers, but the prices are pretty crazy. Maybe an ’80s K5 blazer. Had one when I was a teenager that got about 8-10 mpg. We beat that car to hell, never did any maintenance on it, and it just kept on going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM