Mysterious Clicking Noise - 2004 Disco 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdrinkward

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm not new to the site but this is my first time posting. Let me start off by apologizing for the long post. It's been a long past 6 months chasing this problem. I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 with 104,000 miles. 6 months ago I started hearing a clicking noise from the front drivers side wheel. It sounds just like a CV joint starting to fail. Only thing is that the noise doesn't change at all whether the car is turning or going straight. It increases when torque is applied to the drivetrain by applying the brakes and is definitely related to tire rotation. As I speed up the clicking increases in frequency.
What my mechanic did in order as they were completed: (1) replaced drivers side CV/axle with aftermarket part. This was bad idea. It ate up the seal and had to eventually be replaced with a OEM part to repair the leak. (2) Replaced the U joint on the front drive shaft. Neither of these first two items fixed the noise so a listening device was used find where the noise was coming from. As a result, my mechanic said the noise was coming from the transfer case. (3) $1,800 later he replaced it with a rebuilt Rover Land transfer case. I thought this had fixed it but discovered when driving up my street, which is on a slight incline, the noise was still there. At this point I took matters into my own hands. I too hooked up a listening device to hear for myself where the noise was coming from and heard it coming from the same front drivers side wheel. (4) I replaced the leaking aftermarket CV joint/axle with a used OEM one which fixed the leak but not the clicking noise. (5) I thought the noise could be a bad outer bearing in the front carrier assembly so I bought a used one with 51K miles and installed it. Still hearing the clicking noise. (6) thought why not, I've replaced everything else on the front drivetrain, so I bought a used OEM CV/axle for the passenger side. That didn't fix it either.
I love my Disco, my wife, she doesn't love it so much. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want some help with this, send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to look for and do.

rdrinkward

Reaction score
Mysterious Clicking Noise

Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply. My name is Rick and you can reach me at 619-609-5441. I really appreciate the help!

rdrinkward

Reaction score
Mysterious clicking noise

Just wanted to thank you again Mike for the help. It ended up that my mysterious clicking noise was in fact the centering kit on the drive shaft. A $73 dollar fix. Wow!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4