Need Help -2003 Land Rover Discovery II Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer4543

Reaction score
Last month I bought a 2003 Discovery II with 106,000 miles that is in immaculate condition inside and out. Within a few hours the check engine light came on, so I had the codes read. I began searching the forum for possible fixes but I’m completely lost. First thing I did notice on the vehicle when driving it home was the front end and steering wheel shake like crazy starting around 55mph, second thing was there was tape around the front and rear of the MAF (to seal it I thought) I took the tape off and the MAF was a lot smaller than it should have been so I replaced it, third was fuse #2 had blown so I replaced it and have several times since.
The vehicle has Magnecor Electrosport-70 ignition wires, I replaced the spark plugs (which were a combination of Champion and Autolite) with Bosch Iridium plugs and it idled smooth and has a lot more power now. I rechecked it with the code reader and noticed in the live data that the MAF wasn’t reading, I checked fuse #2 and sure enough it was blown again.

I don't know where to start at this point, below I have included the code read outs and the live data. Any help

DTCs (Codes)

P1451 MOD $12
No DTC definition found. See service manual (Leakage Detection Module Motor power stage errorDrive cycle A:Signal out of range - above maximum)
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0414 MOD $12
Secondary Air Injection Switching Valve A Circuit Shorted
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P1482 MOD $12
No DTC definition found. See service manual (DMTL Heater power stageDrive cycle A:Signal out of range - below minimum)
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0445 MOD $12
Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0448 MOD $12
Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0102 MOD $12
Mass Or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low Input
CONFIRMED
FREQ REPORTED FIX
1-Replaced Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
---------------------
P1884 MOD $18
No DTC definition found. See service manual (CAN message WFPDK (DKI) invalid (FFh).)
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0340 MOD $12
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 Or Single Sensor)
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0134 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity
Detected Bank 1 Sensor 1
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0154 MOD $12
Oxygen Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
CONFIRMED
FREQ REPORTED FIX
1-Replaced Front Oxygen (O2) Sensor
---------------------
P0135 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Heater Bank 1 Sensor 1
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0155 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2
Sensor 1
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0141 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1
Sensor 2
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P0161 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2
Sensor 2
CONFIRMED
---------------------
P1451 MOD $12
No DTC definition found. See service manual ((Leakage Detection Module Motor power stage errorDrive cycle A:Signal out of range - above maximum)
PENDING
---------------------
P0140 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2
PENDING
---------------------
P0160 MOD $12
Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 2 Sensor 2
PENDING

State OBD Check
MIL Status ON
Codes Found 14
Monitors OK 5
Monitors Inc 3
Monitors N/A 3
=====================
Record Data
FRAME: 0 TM: 0.0
MIL STATUS On
MIL STATUS On
ABSLT TPS(%) 0.0
ABSLT TPS(%) 0.0
ENG SPEED(RPM) 671
ENG SPEED(RPM) 666
CALC LOAD(%) 2.7
CALC LOAD(%) 9.0
MAF(LB/M) 0.74
COOLANT(°F) 212
IAT(°F) 95
IGN ADV(°) 8.5
SECOND AIR ATMOS
ST FTRM1(%) 0.0
ST FTRM2(%) -2.3
LT FTRM1(%) 0.0
LT FTRM2(%) 0.0
VEH SPEED(MPH) 0
VEH SPEED(MPH) 0
FUEL SYS 1 OPEN2
FUEL SYS 2 CLSD
O2S11(V) 0.000
ST FTRM11(%) 0.0
O2S12(V) 0.670
O2S21(V) 0.655
ST FTRM21(%) -0.8
O2S22(V) 0.710
MIL DIST(mi) 0
OBD2 STAT CA

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear all the codes and see what comes back. When you get the current codes, send me your number and I'll help you work thru them.

Hammer4543

Reaction score
Mike, I cleared the codes and took it out for a drive, so far the check engine light hasn't come back on. Will drive it more Friday and see what happens. Thanks for your help and will keep you updated.

Hammer4543

Reaction score
Update - I put 58 miles on it after replacing the spark plugs and clearing the codes, until the service engine light came on. I rechecked the codes and there is only one showing now - P0135 MOD $12 Oxygen Sensor Heater Bank 1 Sensor 1. Could this possibly a fuel cap issue? I refueled at approx 40 something miles after the reset and shortly thereafter this code appeared.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE, not related to the evap system, it is a failed 02 and at your mileage you should at least replace both the front ones if not all 4.
As for all those other codes, might want to have your charging system checked for a low voltage while idling. You need to have between 13.6 and 14.4 volts or you will get hit with lots of false codes.

Hammer4543

Reaction score
Update - Replaced O2 sensors, drove for approx 50-75 miles and light went off, was able to pass inspection, also found out I had a belt broken in my front left tire that was causing the shaking when I approached 55 mph - replaced all 4. Disco is running like a champ now.
Mike - Thanks a million for all your input, I wouldn't have been able to do it all without it.

Also added a bottle of seafoam to the gas and have an extra, I noticed you said to buy 2; where do you add the second bottle?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second bottle is used for an induction cleaning to decarbon the engine.

Tayea

Reaction score
I have the same exact codes now! Help me! What did he say to do to clear them out? What was wrong with it? (I have 16 codes)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72