Need some help doagnosing 99 DII Start Up Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qadhafi

Reaction score
99 LR Disco II
Engine light has been on for 4 months
ABS/HDC/TC Lights have been on for 9 months
Last Oil Change/ Spark Plug Change : 6 months ago [I use synthtic mobil 1]

Narrative:
10/18. Drove to work[got there 8:15], left work [ at 12:00] for lunch. Truck took 10 second for the ignition to work. Drove back to work [1:00] and then left to supervise a program for work. Truck started up just fine, drove it 3 miles then it sat for 2 hours. It would not start at all after that. Waited 1 more hour, hooked up jumper cables from a friend and it fired right up.

10/19 Drove to work[got there 8:15], left work [ at 12:00] to go to autozone to have my battery and starter checked. I drove 1 mile to autozone. Battery tested fine. Then the truck wouldn't start at all. Left it there, got a ride back to work, came back at 6:00 and it fired up [although hesitantly]. Drove it home and it will start whenever I try it now [although I have not driven it since yesterday, only occasionally start it to see what will happen.

What it's doing: once the key is turned the starter spins, revvs strongly but there is no ignition. It only occurs when it is driven short distances after being driven medium distances [drive from work to office is about 15 miles.

Tests:
Battery is at 12 V
Cables are a little loose, but no corrosion on them at all [new battery 9 months ago.]
Starter is strong.
No wierd electronics other than an ipod charger in the DC port.

Diagnosis:
?
I've been given advice that is is anything from a clogged fuel filter to a fuel sending unit to a cam shaft sensor to and engine temp sensor to spark plugs.

I'm sure that maybe some of you have seen or heard of something like this happening before. I need some help- I believe that I can fix it but I am unsure of where to start.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a bad crank sensor. fuel pump needs a crank signal to get started.

and the cel has to be diagnosed as well as the hdc and abs by someone with a testbok.

but I would hedge a bet and stick a crank sensor in it to get you running at least.

qadhafi

Reaction score
dang multiple replies

Last edited:

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes,

its on the driverside just above the cat on the backside of the motor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635