Nerf Bars? DON'T **** ME!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Listen guys, don't **** me for asking this...
I just upgraded to BFG A/T's and I'd like to have a step up into the truck. My fiance is kind of short so I'm sure she'd appreciate it.
I love everybody's sliders...but they're so freaking expensive. I mean, I can get these on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Side...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
For next to nothing.
Anybody have anything other than sliders or the factory side steps on their LR3?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to be kidding, those are pure crap, for looks only and won't hold up off road and are not intended to be used as steps.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Soooo......you're saying that you don't like them?
Seriously though, basically I've got no option except to spend a grand? Great.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how they mount they are intended to be used as steps. If you don't really do any "serious" off roading you will probably be fine. However if you hit them they will bend and offer no protection. I have also read in a few different places that they tend to rust after a short period of time and do not look very good. Another option would be to find some of the factory runnings boards. They actually do not hang down any lower then the bottom of the sills. But they do stick out a ways. I removed and sold mine within a week of purchase so you should be able to find a used set. My vote if you think someday you will want the rock sliders just go for them now..

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clearance and how they attach.

The two main concerns with any sort of rock slider or step on any vehicle is how and where they attach, and how much is ground clearance reduced.

With the 3, where the device will attach is interesting. With some styles, the pieces tie just to the frame; others, kind of just to the body/underside of the door sills, and with others, both to the sills and frame.

It is generally assumed that there is no movement between the body and frame however this is not always true and hence a design that ties the two together may have its challenges. It is possible that twisting of the frame may transfer forces into the body in a manner not anticipated by the designers.

There is also the question of what does the add on block off or restrict access to. In the case of the 3, probably access to the air compressor is impeded. This of course only matters when you have to get to the compressor.

Re the question of clearance, generally pipes are added to conventional pickups to ease entry; in the case of the 3, entry is facilitated via the vehicle lowering capability. As such, anything below the level of the door sills is rarely required for access reasons but restricts ground clearance. Depending upon the design, this may be a lot or very little, and with regard to vehicle use, this may or may not matter.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just be holding off for awhile...after reading bbyer's answer (which sounded like it came out of the perfect LR3 textbook), it makes sense to just lower it for now. Thanks for the help...and for not beating me up too bad.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the LR sidesteps for a while. I liked them...until I got more serious about off-roading.

So if you just want something that looks decent but doesn't need to be a legit slider, there is nothing wrong with the LR sidesteps IMO. The fact that they stick out a bit will help you avoid door-dings, too.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the LR sidesteps for a while. I liked them...until I got more serious about off-roading.

So if you just want something that looks decent but doesn't need to be a legit slider, there is nothing wrong with the LR sidesteps IMO. The fact that they stick out a bit will help you avoid door-dings, too.

Similar here. I am on my 2nd set of the LR side step tubes and I like them. The only offroading I do is sand and snow so rock impact isn't an issue for me. I wish it was, and I actually would have gotten rock sliders just for the looks if anyone stocked them locally...but they cost too much to ship.

The tubes are nice and work.
The metal is soft and they will dent on a rock hit, the paint will crack at the bend, and then they'll rust.
I'm on my 2nd set because they rusted from the inside out due to the beach driving I've done. That's okay, though...the first set lasted to about 100K...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do the tubes bolt to?

What do the OEM tubes bolt to?

I presume just to the frame, but I wondered if it was both the frame and underside of the door sills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4