New Discovery; Few Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got a 98 Disco I last week, and I must say it's damned rugged! I love the piece of machanery overall, but there are a few minor items that are just driving me nuts, I was hoping the regulars on here could help me out. (I'm a car-maintaining novice unfortunatly.)

1) The passenger side floor is constantly wet. After searching the forums I guess gunk builds up in the AC unit, and you need to have the dealer blow it out. Was going to go bring it over there soon and have them do it, unless someone else knows a cheaper way to do it.

2) There is a near-constant squeak coming from the front wheel-wells. I've been told it's dirty pads, but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or something similar. When I first start the car, it's not there, after driving around a few minutes it slowly comes in, then into a constant "squeeeekk" - When I depress the brakes the squeak goes away.

3) The alternator is whining - no biggey; needs better grounding? (Saw an article on this, but can't find it again)

Otherwise, I love this car! It's a beast! Working on installing new speakers, as the stock ones leave a bit to desire. Going 100% alpine Type X speakers, with Type R 12'' Subs. After that going to start replacing the cars internals, and possibly go with a super-charger for a bit more 'kick' while driving.

Thanks for all the informative posts on the forum everyone! It's been a great reasoruce so far!

Rich O.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Welcome to the club! If you can find someone with an air compressor, you won't have to take it to the dealer. If they say that they need to do something major, say that you want to blow out the gunk and see if that works. It will. Good luck Richard!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well squeak can be:
a) worn pad. Some pads got special warning bracket on them that starts producing high pitched squeal as pad worns out
b) can be crap on inside of pads/rotors, but then you should be able to wash it away/ clean off
c) can be debris between mudshielf and rotor - but you should be able to wash it away/clean off
d) can be badly installed pads - there is special antisqueal lubricants. But then it shouldnt be heard with brakes not applied

If you hear alternator issuing some serious noise(and it is alternator and not water pump) - it can be sign that alternator is about to drop dead(bearings are worn or brushes or both) or too much draw is on it (which is as well..)

Passenger side floor wet - would be sign of clogged drainage so A/C condensate cant get out. Just have to clean it up. Can do it with thin wire to my recollection.. Mike could correct me on this one :) My Disco is older...

Oh and its not car :)

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
The squeak is your pads, I have the same thing. Get good pads and it should solve the problem.

The Whine might be the main bearing of your alternator going out, thats what it was on mine. Well actually it was that and the idler pulley bearing. The alternator will cost you about $100 to get repaired at a local alt. shop and the idler pulley bearing is $6 from NAPA.

Welcome to the club.

Justin

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The a/c condensate drains are under the truck near the front of the transmission. There are two black rubber plugs, one on each side of the transmission, in the floor. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them out. The driver's side plug was full of crap. It seems to have solved the problem for me.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, that's great then Monty, I'll be sure to try it soon as I get home from work.

Thanks everyone else for the answers too, they are all very helpful. Now, my last question of the day! (Sorry for so many) - Is there a Haynes or Chiltons manual for the 98 - I could only find the 94-95 on the AtlanticBritish website. I prefer these manuals over the service manuals, for price and ease of use.

Once again, thanks everyone. I'll post pics soon ;)

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a Haynes manual for the car. I have one, but it wasn't too easy to find. It covers up to year 1998.

V

VTVV

I've got an alternate theory for you --

On the squeak the occurs when you're not on the brakes, there's a chance you've got a sticking caliper that keeps an edge of your brake pads in contact with the rotor. This will wear down to the brass 'noisemakers' pretty quickly and leave you with a near-constant noise. Applying the brakes causes the pads to sit flat against the rotor, preventing the worn edge from touching and squeaking at you.

Just a thought -- it happened on the rear brakes on my Subaru.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VTVV; You were correct in what the problem was - Replaced them with some stock pads and everything seems to be A-O-K; Loud squeak when depressing brakes at low speeds, but I think it's just me wearing them in.

dishsoap1

Reaction score
So if my Alternator whines for about 30 seconds on very cold morning start, that shouldn't be a big deal right. If I was an alternator, I wouldn't wanna move in the morning either. :)
I have a 96' disco.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635