New member transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harvmac

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 94 Discovery with 225000 miles that i just picked up recently. The engine sounds incredibly solid! I have never owned a Land Rover before so this is kinda all new to me. I bought mine really cheap but it seems to have Automatic transmission problems. Everything seems really solid, but i cant seem to get it to shift into higher gears. It seems to stay in Low gear all the time, I pulled it down into 1st at one point while driving it and i heard a downshift, but that was it. Tomorrow is the first chance I have had to really check it out. Does anyone have any ideas? :confused:
harvmac

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Depending on how well it was taken care of and if the fluid was ever changed, you have either just need to flush the transmission then change filter, or you may have a bad transmission... hard to say from how you describe the issue.

Could just be in Low range...

harvmac

Reaction score
Ok, so I know its not in low range, i put it there a realized the higher idling it is doing almost put the car through the garage! So I did find the fluid was low, so I filled it and took it for a spin, no shifting, but again when I pulled it down into first it down shifted i did not hear it come back out of low though. I ordered a filter kit for the tranny this morning should be here around 1pm, what do you suggest for flushing the tranny? just run fluid through it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Change the filter first and I think 4 quarts of fluid IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), then drive hopefully it sill help... I would keep draining and adding fluid for a few quarts hopefully this will take care of it..

harvmac

Reaction score
Do you suggest any type of transmission conditioner? something to free the valves? I'm guessing here

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it with 224k on the clock.

harvmac

Reaction score
ok, this is an interesting twist to my issues... I put some Seafoam Tranmission Repair in and ran it a while then drained the pan, I replaced the transmission filter (this was a complete pain. 10 hrs later and several lessons learned i finally finished it) Filled it with new fluid and took it for a drive. It shifted like a dream! Better than my wifes Envoy! (BTW, While it was down I also replaced the serpetine belt and tightened up a few connections I saw loose.) I drove it about 2 miles to the nearest gas station then shut it off to run inside, When I came back out it wouldnt shift again. I took it home and added 2 more cans of seafoam, (The fluid that came out was a mess) I went to take it for another test drive and noticed the Tach was bouncing around a lot again, The tranny wouldnt shift. I checked and found a loose connection behind the alternator, tighted it up a little and went for another drive. it shifted again, speraticly but it went through the gears fine. I noticed when the Tach would act up it didnt seem to shift.
My question is, is there a direct electrical connection for the transmission? Something i should be looking for besides the alternator wire?
Thanks for all your advise so far!
I was glad to know I wasnt all alone on this! hahah!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have an alternator on the way out... and yes voltage issues will cause transmission issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak