New member with a few maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Devil

Reaction score
First off, just wanted to say hello. I'm from the US and I have a 2002 Freelander V6(gas, not diesel). I'm very handy when in comes to cars(Built 2 race Mustangs) but this thing has me baffled!
The owner's manual is basically useless
1. How do you check the transmission fluid level? Where do you add it?
2. What transmission fluid do you use? The dealership didn't even know.
3. What spark plugs to use? What should they be gapped at? Standard, not metric.
4. I have BF Goodrich A/Ts on the car and they need to be rotated.
-Should I go, left front to left rear. right front to right rear. and then left rear to front right. then right rear to left front?
Also, while backing up in an underground parking lot, the wife snapped off the antenna. base is still attatched but the rest snapped off. where can I get one?
Thanks all for your help

Shermie

Reaction score
Hello:

Here's what I have learned and done over the last 5-1/2 years. I have a 2002 SE V6 Freelander and she still runs, not great, but gets me to work and back.

JATCO FLUID:

The correct Transmission Fluid for the Jatco on US V6 2002 to 2006 is the LRN-402 a.k.a. as Texaco N402. It's a pinkish synthetic fluid impossible to find outside a Land Rover dealer. Often they require one to purchase a box with 12 quarts (or whatever the metric approximation is!)

TRANSMISSION LEVEL:

The Freelander does not have a dipstick for the Transmission Fluid. In order to check the level you have to follow a service procedure. One of the problems is that the temperature of the fluid has to be between 35º and 45º C, if not the manual states that the level will be incorrect.

A small rubber filler cap is located in front and directly below the battery area. The funnel will have to be very slim and long, I use my own paper made funnels with scotch tape (in a bind).

LEVEL CHECKING:

1) Assuming your car is cold, park on a level surface and remove the bottom protective engine cover as if you were to change the oil.

2) Start the car and let the engine warm up to 10 minutes.

3) You will see that directly next to the transmission linkage that has a cotter-pin and cable is a small round black plug that faces down. Use a 5m hex wrench is required to loosen this plug and place a pan under the hole in case extra fluid drains out. This hole is an internal cylinder that will cause the fluid to leak out until it reaches the proper level (and temperature).

4) If you see no dripping, add fresh LRN-402 and watch the drip pan, you should start to see old fluid drip out. Apply the brakes and move the transmission through R, D , N, 4, 2, 1, and back again. Re-check to see that no fluid is coming out still. You can add an extra ounce and let the fluid stop dripping. Don't take too long as the temp of the fluid will, after 45 min idling exceed 45ºC (if you live in a colder climate you can probably wait longer).
Ideally if you have a thermometer, measure the temp of the fluid coming out and see when you are between 35º and 45ºC.

5) Once the dripping stops and the motor is warmed-up to around 20 minutes of idling, replaces the stopper (ideally with a new washer) and tighten. All of this with the car still running.

6) Replace the rubber filler cap, turn off the engine and enjoy.

NOTE:

If you plan to change the LRN-402 altogether, buy at least 5 or 6 quarts worth, you will use at least 4-1/2. You will need to follow the procedure above except that there is a large drain plug that needs an extra large socket wrench. Also a new sealing washer is highly recommended. If the LR dealer does not have, order them both, the main and the level cap screw washers.

With the engine off, remove bottom cover, remove transmission drain screw and drain old fluid. Replace the washer and plug.

Remove the small 5mm hex level plug and start to fill the transmission with fresh LRN-402. Once you start to see fluid come out of the level plug hole, stop adding fluid, start the car and take her through the gears. let the car warm-up and follow the level checking procedure above.

Remember, if the fluid you take out is REALLY old and smelly, you can opt to mix a 50/50% batch of old a new fluid and replace. It's up to you but be warned, if any Auto Transmission fluid has lost if chemical properties, and LRN-402 seems to go bad after 35kmiles, use the new fluid in a mixture.

The worst part of Automatic Transmissions is not changing the fluid often enough. Internal crud and moisture from the air will make any fluid a wattery mess after 40kmiles. And the hotter and more humid the climate, the faster the LRN-402 fluid will deteriorate.

Good luck. Let me know if you need me to send to you scans of any of these procedures. I have the factory manuals. It is probable that after an extended use of LRN-402 a fluid change will cause the gears to slip and the transmission to fail.

After a LRN-402 change, drive the car slowly and softly with no sudden starts or pedal to the metal acceleration. This will allow the new and old fluid to mix and the tranny to get used to the updated mixture.

Auto Transmissions a particularly funny when fluids are changed. And in the Freelander the proper fluid level is critical, if not you will have incorrect pressure and the gears will slip or shift harshly.

Good luck...

Rich
San Juan, PR

happyhippo

Reaction score
I ran across this site today. Can't speak for how good it is but I think I'm gonna order tranny fluid from them ($7.05 qt) and see how that goes. Looks they got (or can get ) any part for LR if you know the part number.
http://www.utahparts.com/

Shermie

Reaction score
The Jatco Fluid change is simple, but the LR dealership treats this procedure like a triple heart bypass.

It's so funny how most LR service advisors don't even know that the Power Steering reservoir in the Freelander uses Dexron2 Auto Transmission Fluid and the Jatco Auto Transmission box uses Texaco N402 (LRN-402 Land Rover Part).

Furhermore the 4WD Transfer Case uses a special LR fluid as well. The differential I believe uses the standard gear oil, but it's best to buy the LR fluids for everything, takes the guesswork out of the work.

The local Service Advisor some years ago told me to use regular Power Steering fluid in my Freelander and Dexron 2 in the Tramsmission. I stared in disbelief, but chose not to say anything and do the jobs myself.

It's best to invest in the Workshop Manuals, ebay sells these on CD for a song. The Land Rovers are unique and need special care and attention. One small mistake and you can ruin any system in your Freelander by using the incorrect fluids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM