New Owner - Auto Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zlr3z

Reaction score
Just picked up a used LR3 SE V8 this weekend, and I am still feeling my way around this awesome machine. I was coming from an Acura TL 6-Speed, so i am still adjusting my driving style. My auto headlights weren't working so I did some further digging in the car today and here is what i have found:

I checked the fuses, and they were ok. I looked at my headlight switch - all other functions work(fogs, rear fogs, lights and parking lights) however when the switch is in the far right or "Auto" position I get nothing, even in a dark garage.

My next step was to check the sensor, I used my friend "Search" and found that it's located behind the rearview mirror. I took off the plastic casing and all I found was a wire with an empty female plug leading to....nothing. All that 's there is the purple sensor plastic glued to the windshield. No sensor.

I guess my question is; Would I have the switch and not the sensor? Does my LR3 have the auto lights? I figured with Xenons, and fogs it's all part of the system, but maybe not.

I wish there was site where I could enter my VIN and it can give me a build sheet or options installed list.

JZ

zlr3z

Reaction score
Auto Headlights

I bought a used 2005 LR3 SE V8 this weekend, and the auto headlights don't work. Long story short, I have a switch that says "Auto" and fuses in the fuse box for Auto headlights, but when i popped open the sensor plastic behind the rearview mirror, there was no sensor, only a wire with a female connector. It even has the purple plastic thing glued to the windshield. No sensor.

Why would i have a switch that goes to the auto position if the car wasn't equipped?

JZ

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sold an auto headlamp switch to a gal because she wanted to add foglights, but didn't want to add a swith on the dash. Pretty Smart actually.

I think something else is up in your case. In 2005, Lighting package came w/bi-xenon, front fog, auto dim mirror, rainsense, Homelink, h-lamp washers, and rear PDC. I just can't see someone ponying up the money to add the glass, mirror, and switch but not the $75 or so sensor.
Maybe someone was working on it and broke it, and just swept it all under the rug?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rainsense huh? Cool, thanks Dave, didn't even know I had that...if I do. I have the xenons anyway. I'm gonna go check that out.

zlr3z

Reaction score
Photos

I think I have the lighting package, since I have Xenons, Front and Rear fogs on the switch Homelink and an auto mirror.

However, the Homelink on my mirror is different than the one pictured in my owners handbook. There are only 3 buttons on the underside (not the 5 on the bottom) of the mirror, there is no On/Off switch, only the three buttons. Also, the sensor for the mirror is on the top middle of the mirror itself. Pictures below.

JZ

mirrorqb4.jpg

sensormissinglm5.jpg

mirrorbottomxj3.jpg

lightsswitchdo6.jpg

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your mirror has been replaced....

According to Microcat (the Land Rover Parts Catalog), start of production to 6A973185 had the mirror style w/buttons printed and facing the rear of the car, and @ 6A973186, the part # changes to the current mirror which has rubberized buttons on the bottom, like you have. From what I've seen, this stemmed from the button print rubbing of, at least they have on my car, and the few we've replaced.
Again, I'd guess someone worked on it and screwded something up, and swept it under the rug.
What to do next?, I can't tell by the pictures to be 100% on what you need. I'd reccommend swinging it by the dealer, and have them take a glimpse.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dave, are you sure the rainsensing wipers didn't come with the ADAPTIVE light package?

...that's what I thought anyway.

zlr3z

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'll be taking it to a dealer to get my PA inspection as i purchased it in MD. I'll ask them about it.

The only other thing is that i don't have rainsense or PDC, but i do have the washers, so who knows.

JZ

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, checked my LR3 that I just picked up last week. Has xenon's, not adaptive, and rain sensing wipers. Cool, now if it would just rain lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo