New owner (finally)!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after literraly months of dealing with selling our old Freelander and searching for a new LR3, we've finally purchased an 06 SE7. It's a well optioned Atacama Sand on Alpaca model loaded with everything but Navigation / 14 speaker stereo & HD packages, and I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I'd like to send out a big "thanks" to Mustbeaudi for fielding a ton of questions and doing a bunch of running around for me - much appreciated.

Given our nice Canadian winter and based on comments here and on other forums, I've ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow's for this winter (hopefully arriving shortly after the truck as the current GYs are pretty aweful - no cupping, but only 4/32s left on what I've heard is a lousy tire to begin with), and will spend some leisure time looking for something for the summer - not sure if it will be AT or not at this point. Our off-roading experience is pretty limited (pretty boring terrain close to us), but my wife is interested in doing the LR Experience in Québec, since we travel up that way a fair bit. Our old Freelander got us around the easy off road stuff, but we never ventured into any more difficult territory.

I'll be sure to take some pix after getting the truck!

GTC

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! You'll the love the differences between the LR3 and the Freelander

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! There are aren't all that many tire options available for the LR3 but if you're going to be in the snow a lot and don't need a ******** off-road tire I would suggest the Nokian WRG2 SUV. Link.

There's also the Hakk.. oh, I can't spell it... here they are...

Last edited:

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods - yep, I've done a few extended test drives and I immediately recognized some profound differences.

Lyon - I checked out the Nokian's WRG2s (very tempting), but simply couldn't find any at a reasonable price (living in Canada, selection and availability sucks; current CAD dollar pricing is making TireRack more expensive then Canadian internet retailers); I had considered simply running them year round and sucking up the cost, but am still having difficulty with the thought that an "All Weather" tire can be as good as seperate winter/summers. Looked at the Hakka's as well (yeah, I can't spell it either!). Had 'em on my wife's Mini and recently gave them to my sister - great tires as well.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could easily run them year round. I have the previous generation WRs on my wife's Honda Pilot and not only do they wear well but they drive great in the snow and ice. I was skeptical as well but after almost three years and two winters of them on the Pilot I'm a believer. They're expensive but you'll really only have to buy one set of tires. They're likely what I'll get to replace the BadYears when the crap out.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrg2 is a tire the should be run year round I think if you do you will save money in the long run. Its an all season tire with the severe winter rating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo