new to Land Rover & the Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

Reaction score
Hello, I have just made my first LR purchase a Discovery ll SE 02 model.

I have been wanting a LR for some years now but cost has been a factor.The Discovery will be replacing a 1995 Montero SR which I still have. I like the square boxie look and since Mitsubishi changed there design so radically I was left with little to no choices in a newer vehicle. The LR's in the 00-04 year range are really priced well IMO.

I called my Mechanic before even buying the LR and ask if he could or would work on it. He said ohh your crazy do not buy it!! they are piles and constantly break down.I live in a smaller community now and before moving here 5 years ago I always went to dealer ships. The area I live in has no Mitsubishi dealer so I was forced to find a local shop to work on the Mitsu after driving to almost every shop in town they all pointed me to"Dan" the mechanic, he works on Subaru's,Isuzu's, and Mitsubishi's.Over the last few years working with Dan I have come to trust him and his work, it is some of the best I have seen.

So despite the big "NO" on the LR Dan gave me I went ahead and did it any ways. I am fine with the fact they can be finicky and have poor consumer ratings, the Montero was the same way if you read the forums and the Consumer reports, but it has been one of the best cars I have ever owned and I have taken it out on plenty of the trails.

I am a firm believer in diligent Maintenance and hope to have the same luck with the LR as I did with the Montero.

Funny note: I had to purchase the LR from a Dealer about 140 miles away,on the trip back home I stopped at a Walgreen's to pick up a few items and upon starting the LR back up the SES light came on.:stupid: Dan has checked the code and it seems to be the MAF which I am fine with after reading around the web it looks to be common. Gave Good ol Dan an opportunity to put the screws to me though.:bike:

Thanks for Reading.

Polar

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, the MAF sensor can be cleaned, and it can also be set off as a MAF sensor issue if the air box lid is not on straight.

Welcome to the forum.... ask before you pay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99