New to me 2008 LR3 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Werrea

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just picked up a new to me 2008 HSE. It has all the options. But noticed auto lights were not working when it got dark.

Looked at the mirror and it's plane Jane mirror.

Shouldn't it have auto dimming and homelink? Is the headlight sensor in the mirror?

And where is the best economical place to get a mirror if that is what I need

Love the LR3. Been wanting one for a while.

And the rear DVD screens are awesome for our 2 year old.

And a fridge. Simply awesome.

Anthony in Portland.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mirror is not what is needed, it is the entire windshield that is different. Does the lighting switch have a Auto position, do you have front fog lights, do you have halogen or HID headlights?

Not all of these trucks had the lighting package that gives you the above features, and if yours does not, then the lights will not automatically turn on, as you will not have rain sensing wipers.

If you do have front fogs, and HIDs, then the windshield may have been replaced with a lower cost one that did not have the provisions for the light/rain sensor. To make it work, you would need the correct windshield, mirror, and the sensor, and hope that no one damaged the wiring for it all.

Werrea

Reaction score
The mirror is not what is needed, it is the entire windshield that is different. Does the lighting switch have a Auto position, do you have front fog lights, do you have halogen or HID headlights?

Not all of these trucks had the lighting package that gives you the above features, and if yours does not, then the lights will not automatically turn on, as you will not have rain sensing wipers.

If you do have front fogs, and HIDs, then the windshield may have been replaced with a lower cost one that did not have the provisions for the light/rain sensor. To make it work, you would need the correct windshield, mirror, and the sensor, and hope that no one damaged the wiring for it all.

I confirmed that is supposed to have it. The PO replaced the windshield with a standard PPG and replaced the mirror. Agghhh.....

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should have disclosed that before the sale. That's not OE. You should get $$$ back as to replace it is around $1000k.

Werrea

Reaction score
Our model is HSE with every option. The dealer is looking into how to make this right. When we approached them Friday about the issue we talked to the owner of the dealership. High end European dealer. They said that they were not aware and would work on trying to make it right. I told them that this was one of the items that I was looking for and confirmed it by vin before looking at it. So we will see how they do on this. They have a service shop and wrote up a work order. We test drove during the day. It was missed on inspection. Was one item I didn't even think of looking at. Will keep all posted. I remain optomistic.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which dealer was this? I am curious as I live in Portland (OR). If you need a good independent to work on your LR3 I (as can many others) recommend Green Oval Motors - owned and run by an ex LR Master tech.

Werrea

Reaction score
Which dealer was this? I am curious as I live in Portland (OR). If you need a good independent to work on your LR3 I (as can many others) recommend Green Oval Motors - owned and run by an ex LR Master tech.

We purchased from Freeman. I got an update today. They ordered a heated windscreen and auto mirror. They also are going to fix the fog lamps as they keep blowing a fuse.

Hans was our sales guy. He was really great to deal with. Freeman has been pleasant to deal with and want to make things right.

They said they would call when parts are in. So will update.

I also heard the Green Oval is where we should go. I want to get all fluids changed so I have a baseline and get the recommended service.

We bought a CNA warranty plan and have to prove regular scheduled maint. Is followed.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they ordered a rain sensor too, as it does not come with the glass.

Also, after it is swapped, as this is almost always done by a 3rd party, and not anyone at the dealership, make sure the exterior A-pillars are tight, and the lower windshield cowl is not warped up off the glass, as these will cause water leaks into the vehicle.

Werrea

Reaction score
Where does the rain sensor go? I thought it was part of the mirror?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rain/light sensor mounts on a bracket bonded on the windshield just under the mirror mount (where the squarish "optical" window is visible on the OEM glass) and it is sandwiched between windshield and interior mirror, but is not part of either units and needs to be ordered separately if it's currently missing from your car.
rainsensor.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635