Newbie question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lemmy_k

Reaction score
Having driven my '68 F250 for the last 13 years and never having needed to do any trans work, I have a question about the trans fluid in my '96 discovery SD. I just got it and don't know much more info than the name.
I checked the trans fluid and it's a yellow color like clean oil. I have read a lot of posts hear about the fluid and am REALLY confused about it now. Is that color normal? Should I be concerned? Change it? It has 98000 on it and looks to have been really babied as in no off road and garaged.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is full and doesn't smell burnt it should be fine...

lemmy_k

Reaction score
Well the level is about halfway between the marks. My owners manual says to use Dexron IId.I thought I would go get some just to have, but I can't find any. Is there an alternative I can use?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I run whatever is on sale... I know, not the best choice in the world at times, but when it comes to transmission fluids there really isn't too much difference as long as it is a brand that you know...

But normally will stick to valvoline or similar quality.

lemmy_k

Reaction score
I'm not concerened about the brand. It's the type I am asking. I have a quart of Type F for my truck since I just blew the cooler. When I went on the search for the right type I found Dexron III, Dexron V, Dexron VI and so on. But no Dexron IId like the book calls for.
Sorry to be so clueeless, but all I have ever had was old Fords. At $3000 for a new LR trans, I need to be sure.
It shifts fine and I will probably have it flushed after summer. I just want to be prepared.
Thanks for your help!

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dex 3

I run dex 3 in all my cars never issue 97 Disco, 94 Range Rover classic and 2004 BMW.
Just had the a new tranny put in BMW under warrenty and the tranny guy used dex 3. Food for thought-----just like type of gas it is all in what you prefer.

meyersd

Reaction score
As long as it ain't black, I guess it's a good thing.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I read your post wrong, yes per the post above Dex III is fine. Just avoid the other type.... lost in my mind somewhere... I know one is Dex III and the other main type will cause issues.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im **** too about my truck but,"If its not broken dont fix it" good luck and enjoy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge