No A/C at all? The blower doesn't even blow??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to figure out what on earth is wrong with my A/C.... Last summer I took it to an A/C shop who replaced the blower motor because my fan would blow then stop blowing and the air was hot then cold. So they put a new blower in and got it blowing cold again, this repair lasted about a week, then the same old issues started again. Now the fan doesn't blow at all.

Step #1, get the blower flowing again

Step #2 make the air cold:biggrin:

Question of the day is; How do I accomplish either of these:)

The book light is on with an ! right next to it on the ac screen

I have a 1998 P38 with a 4.6.... My guess is joey might know something about this:hello:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First you say the blower doesn't work, I presume you mean the fan in the vehicle.... i.e. the switch is bad.

Make it cold... are you full of R134a? Have you put a gauge on it? Gauges are cheap about $20 and may even include a can of R134a if needed.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you say the blower doesn't work, I presume you mean the fan in the vehicle.... i.e. the switch is bad.

Make it cold... are you full of R134a? Have you put a gauge on it? Gauges are cheap about $20 and may even include a can of R134a if needed.

I used to keep up on the R134a but when the fan stopped blowing I stopped checking:) What switch are you refering to? I heard also that it could just be a relay, but since the fan used to go on and off randomly I'm thinking that may have been the switch going bad. I used to leave the A/C up to the actualy mechanics but I can't be paying anyone to be doing to work to my car right now, hence the reason why I like hearing what you have ot say so much:biggrin:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The fan speed switch...

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey Joey, I decided to look at the Relay's one more time and I almost walked away without checking the two that I replaced a few months ago and sure enough, one of my newer Relay's was all burned up, so I swapped it out and got the fan blowing!!! Then I shot some R134a in it which all blew out of a leak in the front, so now I just need to find the leak

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is it blow freon from the condenser, how mechanical are you, can you pull it out and take the condenser to a radiator shop to see if it is repairable.
If so, as soon as you open the lines, put a plastic bag around the open hose end and tape it closed to keep from getting any moisture or dirt in there.
After replacing the condenser, you'll need to have a mechanic evacuate the system, oil and recharge the system, this is something you can't do without the right equipment.
Good luck.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is it blow freon from the condenser, how mechanical are you, can you pull it out and take the condenser to a radiator shop to see if it is repairable.
If so, as soon as you open the lines, put a plastic bag around the open hose end and tape it closed to keep from getting any moisture or dirt in there.
After replacing the condenser, you'll need to have a mechanic evacuate the system, oil and recharge the system, this is something you can't do without the right equipment.
Good luck.

Hey man, I put a new condenser in, and when I went to get it evacuated the guy told me I should put a new dryer on it before I have it evacuated..... However, I have to watch how much I spend on this thing since my cash it tight, so I could go buy a cheap Dryer off a parts Range, or I think I've seen then on Ebay for 30$ but I still need to get some stem to loop shock mount conversions to put my new shocks on......... All that to ask, do you think I should just have it evacuated without changing the dryer? I had the AC serviced about 1 year ago by a shop and I am assuming they replaced it then since it is pretty clean still. I'm pretty sure I can fix almost everything on this thing. I put a new diff in my friends 01 Range while I was in CT this past weekend and have done a lot of work to my old D1 and my bro's D2, but I only learn this stuff as things break

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, the fan started to blow when I put a new relay in, so I replaced my fuse box, and now the fan turns on and off randomly, I read on rangerovers.net that there is a wire on the blowers that tends to come loose and cause that problem so I am going to take the dash off, clean everything and tighten it all up and check the switch that Joey was talking about and hopefully that will fix it all, if anything it wont hurt anything:) Thanks for the ideas, feel free to keep them coming!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635