no oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMLE

Reaction score
Working on getting the new to me 1996 Discovery running.

V8, 4.0, 5 speed manual transmission. Electronic ignition and fuel injection.

After repairing the fuel pump issue I finally got the vehicle running.

Did not notice the oil pressure light on during the first few times I ran it, but can't swear it was not on...

Around the third time I ran it, the first two times not being more than a minute or so each, I noticed the oil pressure light was lit.

Shut the engine down and ordered a Gloshift oil pressure gauge and sandwich adapter. They arrived and I installed them today.

It also indicates no oil pressure.

This Disco was reported to have sat for about three years before I bought it. The prior owner did report that the front timing cover had been removed and the timing chain replaced. Visual observation of the cover and gasket seem to support that the cover was removed somewhat recently.

When I ran it, it ran rough, and would not idle, stopping immediately after letting up on the throttle. It would however, run steady at whatever throttle level I pressed. These are the same symptoms the previous owner reported to me prior to buying it.

The battery has been out of it and has not run long enough to throw any codes as of yet.

Any thoughts where I should begin?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, do not start it again until you do a proper test/inspection.
If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll call you back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49