Non OEM Hitch Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I was wondering if anyone installed a hitch other than OEM. The cost is reasonable at around $150-170, they attach to the frame rails. How do they look from the back of the truck? Are there any pros/cons to installing a non OEM hitch?

Thanks.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CONS - If you off road, you will lose some rear departure angle clearance. You will still need the LR towing electrics to work correctly. Youll have an extra $200 burning a hole in you pocket ;-)

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think RoverCity.com sells the OEM hitch for ~250USD (NEW) and they had free shipping a year or so ago...

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I was wondering if anyone installed a hitch other than OEM. The cost is reasonable at around $150-170, they attach to the frame rails. How do they look from the back of the truck? Are there any pros/cons to installing a non OEM hitch?

Thanks.

A am curious about the profile of the non-OEM hitch also. While it looks like it might slightly decrease the angle of departure off-road, it sure looks like it would not hang down as much as the OEM version for regular towing, which has been a problem for me. I can't clear the crown of my drive at the curb without dragging the OEM hitch unless I raise to off-road height.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've seen Curt hitches and they go for ~$130+35 shipping on the web.

LR3%20Hitch%20004.jpg

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic39266.html

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang

That Curt hitch is pretty cool. I was hoping it would improve the tongue weight situation, but it only increases it to 600lbs. with a more limited towing capacity of 6,000lbs.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was looking for guys. I am also considering the OEM if I can fit the tow ball size I am looking for. I guess I will need to order the wiring regardless of the hitch type and I assume the OEM part is best for this. Do they come with a 4, 5 or 7 pin? My trailer has 5 pins, one extra to release the trailer brakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo