Noob has Q's about Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

gelf1907

Do not fear, there are lots of '92s still on the road.

I've had my 92 Country for about 6 months now and I've learned a few hard lessons along the way to getting her back into proper trim.
1) Though they only sold a handful of them in the US, they did sell quite a few in the rest of the world and gong to E-Bay UK is a great source of other wise irreplaceable parts. Remember, there are no differences in the body of a 1988 to 1992 and the SWB (short wheel base) 1993-1995. Most of the mechanical parts are the same on all of these cars except the engine size and the ill fated air suspension on the 1993-1995.
2) The rest of the world does not think cars are disposable, especially the RRC, and there is not a single mechanical part on your car that you can not get a new, recently manufactured replacement for. Your local repair place may not be able to get it, and if they do, they think charging you a 100% markup from retail is acceptable. Order the parts online and give them to your mechanic. It is possible to order all of the parts to build a new, stock, 1992 Range Rover except for some of the interior trim and the seats.
3) British cars are odd. A normal mechanic is simply going to be confused by the way your car is designed. Somewhere local to you is a mechanic who specializes in British cars, if not; a European car shop is a good bet.
4) Never, ever, ever run your Rangie hot. Some genius decided to add an aluminum sleeve as a liner in your cylinders. When your engine gets hot, the aluminum gets soft and starts sagging. Your temp gauge should always be under the halfway mark. Your cooling system was designed to let your car drive in the Sarah with the A/C on, your temp gauge should simply never move once your car warms up. If you notice the needle is above the normal spot, STOP DRIVING.

Lemontin

Reaction score
gelf,
Thanks for the other years I can interchange some of the parts on.. the guy who sold it to me told me, but I had forgotten what they were.

I've learned a lot recently, and quirky is the best thing I can say about the thing but I thought that before I bought it too. It is absolutely in awesome shape inside and out as far as appearance goes so I'm not above putting $$$ into her if it needs it. I have found a wealth of parts available for it online and not at all unreasonable..that's a good thing, but at the same time, I'm having trouble identifying issues, such as the lurching, weird headlights and now a puddle.

I've had cars with bad shocks before, but none of them acted like this one does. So I'm wondering if there is something else that could be causing it. I got the manual and it looks quite simple to put new shocks in it, but if the problem is elsewhere, why waste the $$$.

Then last night, I found a rather large puddle under it.. looks like antifreeze but I cannot tell. Also, it's more behind the transmission.. weird... it froze for the first time a few nights ago so I thought that had something to do with it, but it was far from a hard freeze, and the puddle is not where any antifreeze line would be (that I can think of).. so now I have to start checking it all the time.. maybe it was there before??. it has not repeated itself.

interesting car.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Lurching could very well be panhard rod bushings. This is the bar that connects the front axle to the frame.

Could also be other bushings that need replaced.

Puddle could very well be the A/C drain lines... maybe the freeze cleared them out. they tend to clog up.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Well I took some advice from y'all and found myself a local mechanic who seemed quite familar with RR's. Then I ordered some filters and stuff from Atlantic British ( that place is awesome ). So when he changes my oil he'll check into the shocks or whatever handling issues have..

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some genius decided to add an aluminum sleeve as a liner in your cylinders. When your engine gets hot, the aluminum gets soft and starts sagging.

Well, not to bust balls here correcting you, but the fact is these vehicles have ALUMINUM blocks with STEEL liners. When overheated badly, the steel liners have been known to move in their bores.

Chilli

Reaction score
Well I am new to the Range rover family as well and I am knee deep into mine already, runs like a top but the rear end is shot. Mine is a 92 as well and I never had any idea that they were somewhat limited edition, really pains me to know this now as I also bought a parts truck that wasnt in that bad of shape untill I got to stripping it to make mine complete. That being said I am in va and have some parts left over from the parts truck so if anyone needs anything let me know. I am keeping most of it it and storing the parts till I need them what I am not doing anything with is the engine/trans so if someone wants it let me know, I am keeping the front axle and drive shaft as well as the tcase and rear end but like I said the engine and trans are there, I dont know if it runs because the gas tank was out of it when I got it I did put a battery in it and it turns over so its not seized but anything more than that I dont know.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Chilli.... piece of advice. I would keep the engine and transmission. If you keeping the other parts. The cost of a replacement rover engine may scare you out of ownership if your otherone dies and you just sold your spare.

Chilli

Reaction score
As much as I want to keep it I am getting ready to move and really just dont want to deal with trying to move it, I really did want to pull it and rebuild it stick it in the truck and then rebuild this one but like I said moving an engine and trans with a whole house full of stuff is just not my cup of tea.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM