Normal for new brakes to squeak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Just had new brakes/rotors/sensors installed a month ago and now notice the brakes squeak while coming to a stop. Work was done at at a non LR indy shop and was told that OEM LR parts were used. Perhaps the sensors are too close to the brakes/rotors which allows this to happen? I have never had brakes squeak/squeal when they are new. Any thoughts here?

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Thanks for the direction but realistically, I cannot see even an LR dealer going through these steps after each brake/rotor install. It seems like too much "extra" work for them. In addition, I notice the pedal is not very firm at all- it goes down quite a distance when coming to a stop- even when I'm moving slow (under 15mph) as if the pads are well worn...

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer def. does not bed brakes, thats up to you. It needs to be done for proper operation and wear. If the pedal is not firm, there is a chance they did not bleed the line enough and there is air in the lines.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goingsurfin: I had the same problem. Had rotors, brakes, and sensors replaced all by LR parts.. had a buddy's shop do it just to save a few bucks on labour from the stealership. I was getting some serious squeaks from the rear wheels on start up..so I gave up and took it in. The stealership told me that my buddy did a good job on the brakes but failed to adjust the EPBs ..and that they were rubbing inside the hub.. thus the noise.. They said they adjusted them to the new brakes etc.. and the sound is gone.. not sure if this is relevant or not.

seanFLA

Reaction score
Also know that LR OEM brake pads are NOTORIOUS to squeel. Both my LR3 and RR Sport had the same problem after about 12K. It's attributed to all the metal they use in production of the OEM pads. I changed my OEM pads out for ceramic pads on both cars and it's the best thing I ever did in terms of normal wear and tear maintenence. No more squeels, even after 20K miles on these pads and very little if any build up of brake dust now. Just know the ceramic pads generally don't last as long as the metallic pads, but I think they're worth the less prolonged lifespan. Especailly when the looks you get at the stop lights begin to disappear...squeellll! :wink:

Last edited:

goinsurfin

Reaction score
goingsurfin: The stealership told me that my buddy did a good job on the brakes but failed to adjust the EPBs ..and that they were rubbing inside the hub.. thus the noise.. They said they adjusted them to the new brakes etc.. and the sound is gone.. not sure if this is relevant or not.

Zulu what is the EPB? Maybe that is the issue...but what about this...

This is the 3rd set of pads. 1st was from new, 2nd done at dealer. both those times, I never had any squealing. Now for 3rd time, i went to a non LR indy shop and after 2months, they squeal. I went back there last Friday and the guy said that the steel pads are prone to squeal. My question is, what was on there before especially the current set is OEM pads. They offered to add some type of cover to the pads, run it around the block, hit the brakes a few times and that is supposed to "remove" any so-called buildup that will prevent the noise...then they remove and perhaps "grind down the pads"... I forget exactly what he told me there.. I have not done this yet but I'd rather have new pads installed and start over so I get the amount of life out of the pads that i am supposed to have.. What do you guys think?

seanFLA

Reaction score
Honestly I think you'll find that "grinding down the build up" will not be the answer to these pads. Even in my RRS forum, everybody complains about the noisy brakes. I've had my stealership tell me the noise will pass on both cars. I've been told to even drive really fast and slam down ******* the breaks to grind out the build up (what?). Frankly I think they are just a bit embarassed with so many complaints from customers with regards to such an expensive car. Yes they shouldn't squeel for what you pay for these trucks I agree. The only permanent solution is to get different pads. The metal they use in the pads is mixed throughout the whole pad. Sometimes they will squeel, sometimes they won't once you get past a bit of metal. But I wouldn't count on the squeel stopping. My stealership refused to put non-OEM ceramic pads on it, so I took them to an indi brake shop and they did a great job on both cars. I managed to get 50K out of both sets of brake pads before replacing. But I think much of that is due to living in Florida where we have no hills. I've heard of thers only getting 15K out of brakes on these. They are such heavy vehicles. A lot also depends on your driving habits or if you do a lot of city stop and go driving. This is just one example of those LR type of "quirks" this manufacturer is famous for.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
In addition to the squealing, the foot pedal is very soft and when coming to a light, i feel like i need more distance to stop...and sometimes feel like the pads won't stop at all....generally im on the highway making rounds from MIA to orlando, tampa, sarasota...but in town, i hear them way too much now... I'm not liking this new set at all...for sound and safety...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to take your truck back to the mechanic and have him correct this probably by either installing good ceramic pads like Okebonno's and or using sound deadening spray on the back of the pads. You also should have had the brakes bled, usually 3 to 4 pints of DOT 4, that will correct the soft pedal.
Also OME doesn't mean they were made specifically for Rover and installed at the factory, just means it is the correct size and supposed to be compariable to actual factory pads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635