Off-road navigation app recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron oak

Reaction score
I'll be going to Louisiana in April and I was hoping to pick up part of the Trans America Trail through Tennessee, Mississippi and maybe parts of North Carolina.

Has anyone here done this? Also, what apps do you recommend for Maps and Navigation/GPS for IOS devices that might have these trails?

Looking for any and all info, thank you in advance.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans Am is mostly moto crossed so you will need to do what Tom Collins did and translate the moto directions for those portions of the trail into maps/GPS. Gaia, PDF Maps, Motion X GPS, are all good iOS here-I-am map apps, but you need the directionals. I have yet to see an app for that.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Gaia but had no experience with it

I have used Gaia a fair bit. Works great. If you happen to be able to get .gpx files for your route and can get them on your iPad (assuming you use an iPad) you can open them in Gaia and they will be overlaid on your map. I do this with the data files provided sold by the Funtreks group here in Colorado, Utah and AZ.

I now have an InReach from Delorme which is paired to my iPhone or iPad with downloaded maps from Delorme and it works great. But I have't tried doing anything with GPX files (I don't believe that works but I haven't researched it) and it requires a subscription to their satellite-based messaging service.

northroad

Reaction score
Try Spyglass, it's by far the best nav app that I've used. It works like a champ in secluded areas without cell service, with gps only. You just need to pre-download the maps you need. The app is crammed with useful functions, so I recommend it.

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Gaia a fair bit. Works great. If you happen to be able to get .gpx files for your route and can get them on your iPad (assuming you use an iPad) you can open them in Gaia and they will be overlaid on your map. I do this with the data files provided sold by the Funtreks group here in Colorado, Utah and AZ.

I now have an InReach from Delorme which is paired to my iPhone or iPad with downloaded maps from Delorme and it works great. But I have't tried doing anything with GPX files (I don't believe that works but I haven't researched it) and it requires a subscription to their satellite-based messaging service.

Another vote for Gaia, use it extensively on the AT and Yellow Stone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635