Off Road without HD opt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what advantages are gained by the HD option vs stock in off road capability ?? ( light to moderate)
TIA
John,the dummy in NE Ohio

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been covered; search. The optional rear locking differential can assist in extreme scenarios, but Terrain Response does quite well even without. I honestly didn't have any more trouble getting over terrain when I used an LR3 without it.

Off-road purists won't even call the LR3 an off-road vehicle without the rear-locker. Of course, many also think Terrain Response is a toy and everything should be manual. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nomad232

My LR3 is without a rear locker and like Grommet described it gets by very well. But obviously it wasn't enough to keep me from starting my new project...www.disconomad.com.

S

schafari

For the very low cost of the HD option, it adds quite a bit. You get the rear locker and full size spare. Keep in mind once you sell the vehicle, you will typically get 1/2 the cost of a new option. So for a couple hundred bucks, you get the rear locker and a real spare tire. If you gouge or have a problem with one of your rims, you have a spare you can swap. Not to mention of course the extra tire.

I would go with the HD every time. You will know you don't have a rear locker when you have a problem with moving through loose, deep, etc., off-road scenarios. Not getting stuck is worth how much to you? If you never ever go off-road, perhaps not. (Why buy a LR then?)

From your question, sounds like you may be the type that would be kicking yourself if you didn't.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the flip side, the vehicle is lighter without the rear-locker and full size wheel/tire? :)

S

schafari

The full size spare does weigh a lot! I just installed the towing kit wiring harness, and had to drop the spare tire. It was heavy. The owner's manual lists the weight of the options.

Full size spare = 17.6 lbs
Rear locker = 5.1 lbs

In a 6,000lb+ truck, not sure those extra 25lbs are going to take much off the track time.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Grommet, Nomad and Shafari for your input, it was quite helpfull :) and I appreciate it. May the New Year be "fault" free and all your projects go as planned.

Cheers
John in NE Ohio

T

Tomasz

No way!

schafari said:
Full size spare = 17.6 lbs
WOW! I believe that this is what the manual says, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that full size spare is 17.6 lbs! Think about it.

I bet $1,000 it is over 50 lbs. The small spare may be 17.6 lbs.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge