Oil Pan Gasket Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

SH8KDWN

How much of a pain is it to change the oil pan gasket? It looks like it isn't as simple as dropping the oil pan.

Please let me know if anyone has done this as the filter is only $30 and if the dealer has to do it it will cost me an arm and perhaps 2 legs.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll I have to admit I'm a little confused as to what you're looking to do. If you're saying that you need to replace your transmission pan gasket and would like to change the tranny filter while your at it, this might be a big job. I'm not familiar with the seriies II Disco, but on some Land Rovers like the Range Rover classic you must remove the frame crossmember and disconnect and lower the exhaust system up front to remove the tranny pan. Removing the crossmember requires a port-o-power or other similar device in order to spread the frame as the crossmember has somewhat of an interference fit with the frame. Disconnecting the exhaust can be a headache if bolts are frozen and break off in the process. You might want to bite the bullet and leave this job to the dealer.

S

SH8KDWN

Here's a pic of the gasket. It's not the transmission gasket, it's the one that runs the perimeter of the oil pan. It looks like it should be easy to drop the oil pan except for the rear of the pan. I can't tell where the oil pan stops and the tranny pan begins.

Attachments

• ccr20011101op_s01.jpg
    ccr20011101op_s01.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 50

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed mine twice, and each time had leaks. Hardly leaked at all before.

I'm not sure if it's as easy on a D1 as a DII, but there's like 42 little bolts that hold the pan in place; then you just drop it down and scrape all the old gasket bits off.

Drain your oil first, of course :biggrin:

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What confused me was your reference to a $30 filter. I figured you were talking about the tranny filter because I've never heard of a $30 oil filter for a Land Rover.

S

SH8KDWN

sorry for the confusion. It's the filter "gasket" itself not the filter. Although i am suprised that the dealership doesn't charge $30 for an oil filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM