old 5 spoke 18" 5 lbs heavier than "grooved" 10 spoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I had the chance to weigh my 3 types of factory 18" wheels and found that the oldest design, the very open 5 spoke, is about 5 lbs heavier than my 2nd generation 10 spoke (the first 10 spoke had "flat" spokes while next version was made with grooves on each spoke)

My guess is the grooves front and back reduce the overall weight even though there are 2x the number of spokes.

I've always liked how easy the 5 spoke are to clean out from mud or especially snow. Thus my snow tires are on the 5's. I'm thinking my all-around tires will be the Michelin LTX M/S 2 in 275/65x18" E load range and with Green X low rolling resistance tech. Tread wear warranty to 70,000 !

My off road/exploring set will be the Goodyear Duratrac unless the new redesigned BFG AT Ko2 comes out soon.

I'll post some photos after refinishing and mounting is all done...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i'd like a set of the 2nd gen 10 spokes. I have two sets of the 1st gen 10 spokes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM