OME HD or MD for Classic Rover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rover man

Just wondering if anyone has tried the HD or the MD OME springs on a classic. Is there a difference in height? Is there a difference in ride? What would you recommend for a guy that takes his rover off road three times a year?

Roughtx

Reaction score
I used to have a Classic. I used the HD and I liked the ride a lot. I am not sure if the lift is actually higher.

M

ModRover

Springs

I've done tons of spring swaps with OME (the shop I work for is a OME/ARB dealer) so I've got some good answers for you.

Use Med. duty rears on the RR only. I don't care if you're running a roof rack. The Heavy duty rears really "jack" the back up and the Med. duty copes very well with full racks and towing.

Use Med. duty on the front if you plan to stay with the stock bumper (without the factory bull bar).

Use Heavy duty on the front if you're going to put a heavier bumper on (like an ARB) or winch.

I actually ran HD up front and MD duty in the rear on my old '88 RR with an ARB bar on it and a full length ARB roof rack with great results.

Keep in mind that OME designed the springs to give a slightly higher ride in the rear. This is why I always insist on MD in the rear applications as they give the best quality off-road (travel) and level ride height. I did install HD rear and HD fronts on a rig with a stock front bumper. It actually looked pretty level. Then the guy wanted a winch down the road and I used the OME spacers to level it out better for him.

Anyway, blah blah blah... nutshell... HD front and MD rear for almost everything (you know you're going to get a beefier bumper down the road right? bah haha)

Take care,
Michael

R

roverguy10

I have an '89 Classic, and I am running HD in the front and rear. I have yet to notice a height difference between the front and the back, but I can honestly say there is a bit of a ride difference. It now rides more like a truck- you feel the bumps a bit more. I love the HD though because when I go up to Canada fishing, I have the truck full, stuff on top in my rack, and I am towing my 18 ft Lund which weighs a ton, an the back does not sink much! It still rides smooth, and handles decent in the turns even with all of the added weight.

As for a lift, the HD give you a 2" lift by default I believe; at least that's what I got. You can safely go 2" with out replacing brake lines or radius arms, etc. so if you want a bit more height, I would reccomend getting the lift.
I am also currently running the OME shocks too ( I got a good deal on the combo) and I believe that the combonation of the shocks and springs is great.

I hope this helped some!

Jeremy

S

siambxr

Good I ran in to this thread, so roverguy10 since it lifted the classic about 2 inches what tire set up did you use? I am planing to replace my tires soon and wanted to go with the OME spring kit = 2' lift.. I was thinking 245/75/16.maybe I should start a new thread bout max tire size on this matter. :confused:

D

discomike

Paul,
245's are great and 265's are even greater except you do get into a gear problem.
You will loose some power with the 254's but they look and ride great.
Depends what you are looking for.
Good luck,
Mike j.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112