Over $1,100 for New Brake Pads & Rotors...Sound right to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlindy

Reaction score
I called AB and they are more expensive than they used to be at $425 with shipping, but still better than the $1400 the stinking dealer wanted. I didn't mean to be rude to the woman at the dealership who called with the quote, but I couldn't help laughing with that rediculous price. :) I called my own mechanic who does really good work (did a complete tranny rebuild on an Acura NSX I used to have) and he is going to charge me about $180 in labor so the total job is about $600.

I don't see how dealerships can get any business at all these days with gouging prices like these. Oh well. I will let you know how it goes.

jlindy

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts are keeping the auto biz alive. No suprise they've increased so much. I just hope my brakes aren't deafening after this change. I feel sorry for walkers when I pull up to a stop light.

Just for the record: I drive exactly 1 mile to work, and most of my driving is in the city, so I'm not suprised that I need new brakes. Someone that drives mostly on the highway probably gets a hell of a lot better mileage on the brakes. Plus, I'm in the mountains. I still think 29K is WAY too early for a four rotor replacement. Aftermarket parts may be the way to go.

jlindy

Reaction score
I am still waiting for these. Apparently the last set was sold between my first call when I inquired and the second call when I bought them. I am told I still have another week for the brake kit with ferodo pads. For $20 extra they have genuine kits in stock, but since they are the pads that are on the car now and squeaked a bit, we were told the Ferodos were really good about not squeaking. Is there really any difference between the two in dust/squeak?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO you cant go wrong with the complete EBC brake kit from AB for $649. LR factory brakes are dome of the dirtiest brakes I have ever seen on a vehicle. Other than $2500 per axle for Brembo's, I dont know of a better kit than EBC. The pads have a breakin compound on them to properly brake the rotors in, and the slots/dimples release the heat and keep maximum mass for positive stopping. I prefer slotted only, but have yet to see that option. Maybe Hawk, Powerslot, or DBA will soon come out with a set but until then, my money is on EBC.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone please buy my extra NIB front brake sensor posted in Classifieds - only $17 mailed to you - just so I don't have to try to get to the dealer during business hours to return it!

jlindy

Reaction score
Got the pads/rotors in from AB and had my local trusted mechanic do the job for me and saved $800 over the dealer. No squeaks and works great. I am amazed that people would consider having them do a simple brake job at those prices. Something more complex I can see the dealer giving you piece of mind, but not this. :wink:

jlindy

Reaction score
new twist to the story...got the pads/rotors installed in June and latley I have been having shaking of the wheel when the brakes are applied at highway speeds. I just brought it in and my mechanic is telling me that the front rotors are warped. :mad: How can this happen after two months. My mechanic tells me that they are very careful to make sure everything is hand torqued. They can't be turned and have to be replaced. What do I do?

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should buy new rotors, don't take a chance on safety.

Which rotors did you buy? I saw three choices on AB website.

jlindy

Reaction score
You should buy new rotors, don't take a chance on safety.

Which rotors did you buy? I saw three choices on AB website.

Good news and bad news. The good news is that AB is going to send me new front rotors, but the bad news is that I am going to have to pay the labor to put them back on again. :( I got the rotors with frodo pads. They are supposed to be highly squeak resistant, but they are squeaking like crazy. AB was very shocked b/c they haven't had problems with them before. Of course it always happens to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge